For the second week in a row I........

widget

took myself off to that little hub of cycling Vanderbijlpark to ride the IFM 102 race.

The week before it was punted as one of the BIGGER races in the area so I was expecting a great turnout and an exciting race.

..............well, what a disappointment, if there were 40 cyclists in the long ride (80kms) and here I include both the licensed and open catagories, it was a lot.!!! - I personally counted about 30.

The 40kms was not much better from what I could see.

Out on the road it felt like we were riding alone and the only time we saw another cyclist not in our little bunch of 5 was after the turnaround point when you saw the others trudging along and wishing they were elsewhere.  

Anyway, the beer and burger lunch at Stonehaven afterwards was as pleasant as usual, and worth the 210kms round trip, but where was everybody.???  

widget2007-04-02 02:02:26

Anyway' date=' the beer and burger lunch at Stonehaven afterwards was as pleasant as usual, and worth the 210kms round trip, but where was everybody.???  

[/quote']

Widget I think the Vasbyt took a lot of riders out of this race, as i recall last year there was a good tunout for it.

As for me, i was MTB'ing

widget, cycling in general has taken a major knock in the Vaal.  As I've mentioned before, the guys are now trying to make to much money out of the road races.  For someone to drive out there, race (which aren't always that well marshaled, etc), chow and then head back to Sodom and Gemorrah is not really worth it. 

And then, to have the race on the same day as the Vasbyt.  Might just as well shoot yourself in the leg!

Hmm, yes, I sort of only heard about the vasbyt now Scotty - just shows how "out of the loop" I am!!".

Anyway, I got in a quick 80kms and a refreshing lunch in a pleasant surrounding so it was not a totally lost cause.Big%20smile 

Anyway' date=' I got in a quick 80kms and a refreshing lunch in a pleasant surrounding so it was not a totally lost cause.Big%20smile 
[/quote']

Beats a not so quick 151km and no lunch any dayLOL

Hi, for sure..I did the race as well.The problem in the Vaal isn`t the fact that there isn`t any cyclist willing to ride. It is mainly because of the monopoly there. This was the first race in i can`t remember  in how long, i did organized by the promoter. And nothing has changed.....