vanity unfair

NotSpartacus

okay so I've given up hope of winning the TdF  but now I am stuck with the body of an 11year old despite being almost 3 times that ageSmile I want to embark on a gym program that'll give me some upper body muscle but which will not compromise my clubracinng too much. Where's the best place to start?

best place to start is after a ride through half a teaspoon of monohydrate creatine in your recovery shake. oja pushups and situps bud. it will cut jour body but wont let you pick up 50kg in muscle so you cant pedal.

Go for the creatine if you want to damage your kidneys. Chance are you have the upper limit of creatine present in your body already. Whatever you take in is just going to get filtered through the kidneys giving you expensive urine. The beauty about the creatine scenario is that because it is a relatively new SUPPLEMENT, no-one knows what the long-term effects of taking it will be.

The best place to start is to have a thorough assessment performed and a program written up that you should follow. There is no need to reach for the drug tubs from your local pharmacy. Plyometrics will help you strengthen without slowing down.

Boeing, that's not strictly true. Most studies show that up to 10 grams of creatine is ok and can help you to gain muscle. There is however an easier way, make sure your diet is higher in protein than carbs and if you want a supplement then take branch chain amino acids or pure leucine powder. The way it works is by moving your body into an anabolic state which is where you need to be to gain muscle.

As far as excercises go for upper body I would advise pushups, body weight dips, wide grip pullups and chin ups. These excercises give you the biggest benefits for your chest, shoulders and arms. To supercharge your workouts finish off with back squats (holding the bar on your shoulders). Squats work so many muscles (256) that they force the body to release growth hormone in order to cope. There is also a good article in the mens health this month on gaining muscle.

For more information and workout ideas see Testosterone Nation. They have some really good workouts and advice.

Protein and more protein with some heavy weights at high reps.

There is a product that has a HMB and creatine mix and helps make you stronger and recover faster..i have used it and it works but is very expensive.

First things first. Creatine in no way increases muscle mass. Whoever believes that should be executed

Creatine is an energy source and in not invilved in an anabolic pathway. As long as you are getting plenty of rest and eating correctly, your body will be in a state of anabolism. Unless for a medical reason, there should be no need to supplement your diet if you are eating correctly. A point of interest is that the supplement and vitamin industry in the country is largely unregulated. Do you really want to ingest something that you have no idea of what it contains.

The best way to improve your muscle mass is weight training. However, many cardio exerises can improve your upper body muscle mass as well as strength. Boxing is a good example, as is climbing and swimming.

I agree with Santa C, but make sure that said biokineticist or Exercise Scientist is independent. Unfortunately the industry can be slightly skewed and perverse