Power Data: TdF Stage 2

Come on, that's a very easy day.  230W average?  That's not even proper tempo riding!!! 

The year before Landis won, he felt he had made a big mistake by tapering for too long before the tour, because the first week was so easy that he actually lost form and then struggled when the mountains came.

Sounds like a good reason to get into a breakaway (or at least try!) during the first week.  I would love to campare it to yesterday's stats of Clement (or one of the other breakaway riders)

230W at 137bpm AV HR also don't seem out of sink. 

Most of the HR data is missing from the file, so can't draw any conclusions from that.

Hi Bruce,

With regards to the readings for Pw:HR and Pa:HR I assume these are not accurate as a result of missing data. This is something I often find on files, do you?

My question is with regards to the Pa:HR reading. This reading is an indication of the decoupling between HR and Power output? If so, how important is this to gauge aerobic capacity and what would an acceptable deviation/decoupling be? 0-5%?

ave of 3.6w/kg for 180km+ is rather hard in my books...

his IF is 0.72 for the effort of 231W ave,  so that puts his FTP @ 5W/kg???

my math must be flawed because some vets i know has a higher FTP than 5W/kg Wink

(Willehond -- you stole my quote!!!!!!! Angry - i TM'd it years ago but just never had the armbands made...)

ave of 3.6w/kg for 180km+ is rather hard in my books...

his IF is 0.72 for the effort of 231W ave' date='  so that puts his FTP @ 5W/kg???

my math must be flawed because some vets i know has a higher FTP than 5W/kg Wink

(Willehond -- you stole my quote!!!!!!! Angry - i TM'd it years ago but just never had the armbands made...)

[/quote'] I have bad news for you; not only did I steal your quote (which I vehemently deny!), but someone already stole your armband idea too....

Looks like his ftp is a (mere) 380W, which would give him a w/kg of 5 if he weighs 75kgs?  Good, but not TdF winning 6,8 (Lance's number if I remember correctly?)

...if he weighs 75kgs? ...

you mean 65kg's -- i dont think that there is more than 5 guys in the TDF weighing more than 70kg's LOL

Hi Bruce' date='

?

With regards to the readings for Pw:HR and Pa:HR I assume these are not accurate as a result of missing data. This is something I often find on files, do you?

My question is with regards to the Pa:HR reading. This reading is an indication of the decoupling between HR and Power output? If so, how important is this to gauge aerobic capacity and what would an acceptable deviation/decoupling be? 0-5%?
[/quote']

Yes, these metrics won't be accurate.

The Pw:HR metric is applicable to sub-threshold, steady state endurance efforts and as you say, are meant to provide an indication of aerobic fitness by assessing how much cardiac drift takes place. So, they would be meaningless in a racing situation.

I personally have never had any success with these metrics (Pa:HR is a running metric), they need to be done under highly repeatable conditions.

...if he weighs 75kgs? ...
you mean 65kg's -- i dont think that there is more than 5 guys in the TDF weighing more than 70kg's LOL

File says he weighs 74.8kg, so maths is good.

5.06w/kg FTP is a tad low. FTP may be incorrectly stated in the file to protect the innocent.

I thought even LA was sitting at 74-75kg?? 
Me too.  Which would have him needing an FTP of 500W to win the TourShocked