Training in JHB

Hi all

Me being from CT, i am not sure if it is safe to train on ur bike during the day on weekends on ur own. Is it safe? I am staying in Kyalami Estates and work in Midrand so i reckon most of my training on weekends will be in those areas. Is it safe to venture out on ur own. I do it all the time in CT and am able to train for long durations almost anywhere without hassle. I also prefer to train from my doorstep and return to my doorstep and do not like driving to a safer place to commence training, would this be possible from kyalami estates where i stay?

I am typically a mid-day rider so most of my training rides are done between 10:00am and 2:00pm on weekends.

During the week i am sorted as i have an indoor trainer and will train on that thing before work on alternate days, it's just the weekend that worries me.

Thanks Smile

forget trying to ride in that area during those times.... your are now in gauteng... rides start at around 6am to be done by mid-morning to avoid heavy joeys traffic! LOL

eeeeek, thats early slowpoke LOL

PS: Sorry to hear about ur accident. Hope u get better soon! Smile

Is it just becos of the traffic that we should train earlier? If i do train at that time of the morning(6am) can i still train alone or should i always be with other riders?

From a safety perspective ppl will always say train with partners but i do it alone in CT, can i do the same in Kyalami and midrand as well provided i train at 6:00am to avoid traffic?

is the traffic really that bad that i cannot train mid-day in jhb even on weekends?

Cry

Please advise

Thanks

weekdays would be ok mid-day. but definately do not consider riding alone unless you know the area incredibly well (ie where to look at the bushed instead of the road in order to spot any undesirable creatures) and make sure you have someone who you've notified that you are going out and will notify on a regular basis/on your return home.

During the week you can train at the kyalami race track, they open it for cyclists from 5pm most afternoons, safe and a good workout. Im there twice a week.

You can also join the CycleLab (Megawatt Park) and Club100 (Er, CycleLab shop) rides to get to know the routes in the area.

Anyone want to help out with details of contact persons, timing, groups, etc?

PS: Welcome to GP, TooHot

Hi Edoardo, thanks for the info, i will take your advice and follow up on joining some group rides initially to get to know the area. - excellent idea! Thumbs%20Up

If you look at he comments on the Hub its safer to ride in Joburg anyway, looks like there is more trouble in the Cape, so dont worry too much too hot.