Which Chain

fandacious

I've got shimano 105 groupset. I managed to clean my bike (cassette, chainring and chain as well) over the weekend. I noticed the bike has a shimano HG chain.

What chain would hubbers recommend i replace it with? I dont want to replace my whole groupset yet. Should I even upgrade my chain? Is the HG decent?

Guest Big H

The chain you have there IS a Shimano chain. HG stands for Hyper Glide and all Shimano chains have a HG prefix and they are available in the following formats.

HG53 - Tiagra

HG73 - 105

HG93 - Ultegra

Dura Ace

These chains can be used on any 9 speed drivetrain, wheter it is road or MTB. 10 speed chains will not work on nine speeds cassettes. The HG 53 is the cheapest and the Dura Ace is the top of the range chain. You can use the Dura Ace 9 speed chain on a nine speed Tiagra drivetrain and vice versa.

Big H2007-04-10 04:16:11

Ahh... thankgs BigH. Upon closer inspection It appears I have the HG53. Could I put a dura-ace chain on a 105 groupset with Deore Jockey?

buy a sram powerlink for your shimano chain, great for cleaing the bike, no tools required to "break" the chain.....

Ahh... thankgs BigH. Upon closer inspection It appears I have the HG53. Could I put a dura-ace chain on a 105 groupset with Deore Jockey?

yes, but just get a HG73......

hold on - why do you have a deore rear derailler ??

Good question. I'm trying to figure that out myself. The only reason i can think of is because i've got a 11T on the one end and a 34T on the other end. Would this maybe be why?

Good question. I'm trying to figure that out myself. The only reason i can think of is because i've got a 11T on the one end and a 34T on the other end. Would this maybe be why?

ja, 11-34t - is this on a  a hybrid ??

[quote name=rock

ja' date=' 11-34t - is this on a  a hybrid ??
[/quote]

I bought the bike 2nd hand. It only had 80kms on it when i got it. the guy i bought it from told me he had a 11T fitted onto the cassette. Also I noticed my front chainring is 53/39. Just find it wierd that they would put a mountain bike derailler on...

Any comments? I plan on upgrading to dura-ace sometime anyways. Should I worry about switching the derailler to 105 for now?

Guest Big H

What type of bike do you have???? as well as the following:-

Front derraileur, rear derraileur, front derraileur, Rear cassette 9 speed ???, what range of gears ie teeth, type of shifters ie STi or MTb type shifters?

It seems you have a weird collection. Please answer the questions above so we could give advice????

Raleigh RC6000

Everything is 105 except the rear derailler (Deore). 9 speed cassette:

11T, 13T, 15T, 17T, 20T, 23T, 26T, 30T, 34T.

STI shifters - part of the brakes

I think the previous owner may have found the hills a bit tough, hence the 34 cog and deore derailleur. I dont think the original 105 derailleur would have worked with a 34 tooth cog.

I wouldn't mind that gearing setup myself based on my current fitness.

There was an article in one ofthe mags recently and you are correct, you would need a "long" Dr cadge to cope with the 34 and the 11, a "Short" Dr cadge would leave you with too much slack in the chain running 39 - 34.

Guest Big H

Do you have a 3 chainrings or 2 up front. The setup will work although it is a strange setup. Get yourself the HG 73 or HG 93 chain if you really need to get a new one. Check your current chain for stiff links after you have washed it properly. Get a Oyster type chainwasher BBB makes a nifty one. Dry the chain lube it properly with a dry libe and check for stiff links. Also have the chain measured for stretching by your LBS or buy a chain measuring guage.