Idiot cyclists

Ti-ny

Start rant: I have been cycling for about 8 years. On Monday next to Tygervalley 3 cyclist came past me while I was at a red traffic light in my car.

Without even slowing down they just cycled through the red light, as I passed them I asked sorry told them that the light was red and that they were idiots.

All of a sudden I was the one in the wrong because I pointed it out to them. Granted it was on an uphill and by the size of the 2 girls butts and the Guys belly maybe a mission to get going again if they stop on the hill, but still not an excuse for what they did.

Always one or two giving cyclist a bad name. Rant over:

The best part is that during the 8 days of the Epic not a single cyclist went through a red light

Ti-ny, one of this country's top cyclists once said to me "what kind of a training ride would you have if you stopped at red lights" - maybe these $%^&s have heard this kind of comment somewhere....

but yep, i agree, cyclists who jump red lights are looking for k@k and all my cycling buddies know how i feel... ask anyone on the hub!

This will always be an issue... you'll get those that stop and those that will just not give a sh*t, like me but only sometimes where the roads are realllly quiet...

Leave the chaps... I'm sure they've heard or red about skipping red lights or obeying traffic signs etc. some where... If they don't want to listen or be cautious let them learn or feel the hard way... Sounds a bit harsh but sheeesh? every week it?s the same old sh*t...

i don't know if leaving them does anyone any good. so many of my non-cycling "friends" get so annoyed by cyclists' flying through a light when they can't that they have very little regard for cyclists themselves!   

And something completely different....on Monday I came across a group of (mostly) teenage black kids in Nedbank cycling kit, all on basic yellow "MTBs" (no quick release skewers anywhere, no shocks, just basic bicyles).  Now all these kids had helmets on, and STOPPED AT EVERY TRAFFIC LIGHT/STOP street between the Jamestown turnoff on the R44 and their "rest stop"at the Shell garage at the bottom end of Dorp Street in Stellenbosch.  Dunno who is responsible for putting these kids on the road, or teaching them road rules but a BIG Thumbs%20UpThumbs%20Up

i don't know if leaving them does anyone any good. so many of my non-cycling "friends" get so annoyed by cyclists' flying through a light when they can't that they have very little regard for cyclists themselves!   
Yup I agree... leaving them alone won't solve anything... just like b*tching and moaning every week, also solves nothing Confused

Homer, I agree - have you thought of trying to send an email to Nedbank to point this out - if they feel appreciated and are told that they are getting POSITIVE exposure they might be willing to put more into cycling. I'm sure there are contact details on their website.

And something completely different....on Monday I came across a group of (mostly) teenage black kids in Nedbank cycling kit' date=' all on basic yellow "MTBs" (no quick release skewers anywhere, no shocks, just basic bicyles).  Now all these kids had helmets on, and STOPPED AT EVERY TRAFFIC LIGHT/STOP street between the Jamestown turnoff on the R44 and their "rest stop"at the Shell garage at the bottom end of Dorp Street in Stellenbosch.  Dunno who is responsible for putting these kids on the road, or teaching them road rules but a BIG Thumbs%20UpThumbs%20Up[/quote']

I had the pleasure of riding my Argus with those guys (in the mighty PD's Smile)

No overboard competitivness or arrogance on thier part (which I see too often from other racers)..... they just cycle for the love of it, having fun the whole way.

Great to see.... keep it up! Clap

Homer and Oggy...it's great to hear such possitive things! I agree...a missive thumbs-up to those people...Clap

I am pretty much in the same boat as Jason.  I stop most of the time but 5 o'clock in the morning with no traffic I will jump the light.  But if there are cars at the intersection (even just one waiting at a red light) I will stop.  We do have to set an example.

But on the flipside elephantino, your non-cycling buddies get annoyed .... wel, do they also get annoyed when pedestrians cross roads anywhere they like.  Do they get annoyed if some drives while operating his cellphone which is not connected to handsfree kit?   It is so easy to get annoyed as cyclists.  They don't tresspass the law more than other road users.

Homer' date=' I agree - have you thought of trying to send an email to Nedbank to point this out - if they feel appreciated and are told that they are getting POSITIVE exposure they might be willing to put more into cycling. I'm sure there are contact details on their website.[/quote']

Mail Kim, she is probably involved in this or know who is.

I am pretty much in the same boat as Jason.  I stop most of the time but 5 o'clock in the morning with no traffic I will jump the light.  But if there are cars at the intersection (even just one waiting at a red light) I will stop.  We do have to set an example.

But on the flipside elephantino' date=' your non-cycling buddies get annoyed .... wel, do they also get annoyed when pedestrians cross roads anywhere they like.  Do they get annoyed if some drives while operating his cellphone which is not connected to handsfree kit?   It is so easy to get annoyed as cyclists.  They don't tresspass the law more than other road users.
[/quote']

you're right actually. i reckon us s'efricans spend a lot of time being annoyed. there was a letter in the star a year or so back - around 94.7 time - with the reader moaning about how stupid a cyclist obeying a red light and doing a trackstand looked. there aren't that many things which don't seemed annoying.

besides, motorists also often only slow down at intersections in the early mornings - to avoid hijackers, smash and grabbers - just like we cyclists do