Winter leg weight training

Winter leg weight training - Downloaded lots of stuff last night on the topic and there seems to be two distinct opposing factions where one says awesome and one of the others other statistically proves that 40km time trialists who did leg specific training posted slower times after the fact. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

There is however a general consensus that winter leg weight training is good but ?then needs to be converted? to cycling training. Cannot find more on the conversion thing.

My problem, and I am sure same to for most of us Capies with the approaching wet, cold and very little daylight is that the only time left to ride is over the weekends and some supplement training is needed. Our biggest weakness, and not just because we are fat, is strength on the hills.

Besides the weekday spinning to keep has I would really appreciate some weight strength training info as the Boet and I want to tackle the new season on the tandem with a vengeance especially considering that he has jumped from PPA M to I and me, K to H.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What? You mean a little bit of water and some wind bothers you? And I thought everyone here was SERIOUS cyclists. I dont recall LA complaining about doing mountain passes in the snow..

Good post tho. There's nothing wrong with hitting the gym. In fact, on the days I dont cycle, I either run or gym. Gym and running has made huge improvements to my strength and I really fly up the hills now. Of course, on a 100km race, strength isnt much use if you're totally unfit, so you'll need to stay fit over winter as well.

If you're considering gym, one of the other things you can do is attend the core classes. 1 - excellent for core strength and balance, 2 - lots of beautiful women in leotards.

Everyone's body is different - you'll have to find something that works for you

Or you could just ride a few sections of uphill single track and some steep rocky/muddy/sandy climbs on your MTB a couple of times a week this winter (it is proven fact that rain does not affect you when you are on a MTBBig%20smile) and you will do all the leg strengthening training you need without getting near the gym...OK, you'll miss out on the leotard ladies...

Think I'll head to JHK after work...tracks should be good after the rain....mmmmmm

I years ago I went to the gym 2 days per week. I used a cycling specific program from "the cyclist's training bible" by Joe Friel. Program was gym On Tue and Thu, trainer on Wed and Fri, club ride Sat, long ride Sun. I gained about 3 kg's, got awesome looking leg muscles, but lost my zip on the climbs, and my results were worse in the following season. My sprint did improve, but climbing was my strength, and I lost it due to the extra mass. So for me, it did not work.

Since getting coaching from bikemax at the begining of last year, I have not been to a gym. I'm stuck with the extra mass, but the bikemax coaching is returning me to the climbing form I once had.

I'm with Homer on this one - the cold and wet Cape winters is exactly why God made mountain bikes!

At the end of the day if you want to improve your cycling you need to cycle, doing other forms of exercise does have benefits but the most improvement will only come from TRAINING ON THE BIKE.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

If the weather is a problem then the only solution is to use an IDT and do specific quality training to improve the areas you feel you need to improve in i.e. hill climbing.

It's obvious you lot weren't brought up in cold northern climes. No way is it cold in the Cape. Ever. Chilly maybe, but never cold. In my day we had to walk 10 miles to school in waist high snow, dressed only in shorts and a thin shirt.

BOT. Wednesday night, Gardens Virgin Active. Spin from 5:30pm till 8:00pm and win prizes. Or so the instructor said last night.

It's obvious you lot weren't brought up in cold northern climes. No way is it cold in the Cape. Ever. Chilly maybe' date=' but never cold. In my day we had to walk 10 miles to school in waist high snow, dressed only in shorts and a thin shirt.

BOT. Wednesday night, Gardens Virgin Active. Spin from 5:30pm till 8:00pm and win prizes. Or so the instructor said last night.

[/quote']

damn chris.......

where are you from?

Wednesday night' date=' Gardens Virgin Active. Spin from 5:30pm till 8:00pm and win prizes. Or so the instructor said last night.

[/quote']

A 2 and a half hour spinning class????  Is this a special class or the norm @ that gym.

Our classes are max a hour 30.... but wouldn't mind a longer class....Wink

I think it's a 45 min class followed by a 90min one but with the same instructor. I am going to give it a go next week and see what gives.

Did weight training... well more on the legs last winter and my cadence sucked after that...struggled up climbs and I'm still struggling. Will never do it again... only way to build your legs is to get on the bike... only weight training i try and do is upper body and core region...

Or you could just ride a few sections of uphill single track and some steep rocky/muddy/sandy climbs on your MTB a couple of times a week this winter (it is proven fact that rain does not affect you when you are on a MTBBig%20smile) and you will do all the leg strengthening training you need without getting near the gym...OK' date=' you'll miss out on the leotard ladies...

Think I'll head to JHK after work...tracks should be good after the rain....mmmmmm
[/quote'] MTB sounds great but just the other day I asked the hub if anyone had a tandem MTB to lend me so that I can try the sport and kinda got zip resposnceCry mdk5552007-04-11 14:55:15

MTB sounds great but just the other day I asked the hub if anyone had a tandem MTB to lend me so that I can try the sport and kinda got zip resposnceCry

You can always contact Maverick in Somerset West - they have a MTB tandem, and are often looking for a gullible soul to ride stoker....