Would you recommend Q rings

fandacious

What is the hubbers take on Q rings?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What is the hubbers take on Q rings?

• Yes - I ride them and they rule
    • Yes - I've heard good things
    • No - I ride them and they dont help
    • No - I've heard bad things

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who s heard bad things. please tell me what you have heard. I would like to know and be able to answer that

We ride the TT Q Rings (54/42) on the tandem and can state that:

1. There is definitely an improvement in our ability to "turn over" a heavier gear.

2. Recurring knee pain (age related smiley36.gif)in races has gone completely.

3. Top end speed has been curtailed somewhat - spinning out at between 70-80 kph. Stoker does not see this as a bad thing!smiley36.gif

So......recommended by an aging enthusiast smiley20.gif

4feet, you can look at moving the Q Ring to position 4 and this might help your 'spin out'.

I'm just waiting for the LBS to tell me my middle blade needs to be replaced then I'm also getting Q-Rings for the Mtb.

Thanks Ivanb will try that. What effect will that move have on the other aspects of the ride...flats and climbs?

its trial and error. It should make a difference. If that doesn't help try position 2

Guys we even offer a 30 day trial period if you not happy I will refund the money spent.

Obviously the rings must be in good condition, etc etc.

ivanb,what are they like on a mtb, my common sense tell me they will be just as effective. worth it?

On a mtb they are great from what feedback I get. The guys are impressed with better traction and an extra gear. Also they say when you need the small gear you don't feel like you are spinning and going nowhere slowly. We had a crazy rush before the Epic and so far no one has called to replace blades or k-k on me to say they were no good. So thats good news that they are lasting. The Wharthog guys had some very good things to say.

I see a negative aspect with oval rings for a road cyclist in endurance events.

Effectively a length of the chain is lifted vertically and dropped about 20mm  twice in each crank rotation, or 180 times a minute at a cadence 90.   Although the studies show an increase in maximun power,  a road cyclist spends most of his time riding no more than at 60% power.

The effort of accelerating and lifting 100gms of chain 30 000 times during a 3 hour event will probably negate the benefit of an extra 12 watts for the 5 seconds of the sprint when maximun power is needed.
The Guy in Pink2007-04-14 02:54:35

Guy in pink, No way there are studies showing the increase in power.

It has nothing to do with what you say as standard round rings consume most energy at the dead spot where you try to go forward while pushing down. Now with q rings the drive and power are placed in the correct position so that the bike moves forward effeciently and with the most economical power source.Power increases dramatically, effeciency improves and speed.

The dead spot is reduced and with the increase of the accelaration through the dead spot is increased and there fore made easier to travel through all but eliminating the waste of power and energy.

riders ar now seeing these results on their own powermeters etc.

Get a set and prove it to yourself