Is 30 minutes enough ?

eddy

I am getting back on the bike after quite a long lay-off, and hope that someone can help.

I can find time (have family and work time tables are quite tough) to only do about 30 minutes a day on the wind trainer.

Will this benefit me, or do I need more than this a day ?  Is there a significant differnce if I manage 40 minutes ?  

The intention is not to start racing but to improve general fitness levels and to lose about 10kg by mid year at which time I will be able to do more.

Good luck with regular stints on the IDT - I could only manage 30mins (ever) and resorted back to sparrows-f@rt rides...

I guess IDT is better quality than on the road (i.e. harder and better structured) and 30mins probably equals 45mins - 1hour anyway. To get aerobic benefit you need more than 45 mins of easy riding (50 - 75% of max HR) more than three times a week.

Anyone that has managed regular IDT training with tips/training program?

I can multi-task on the wind trainer as I am not doing hard intervals which requires concentration. I can read, and that makes the time pass quite quickly. I am just wondering if it a waste of effort if I only do 30 odd minutes ?

I will ride like that 4 days a week and do an easy hour or so on the weekend.

For general fitness 30 minutes a day should be fine, and is definetly better than nothing at all.

The main thing is to train consistently and not to skip to many days (or weeks). This along with a sensible eating plan (lets leave the diet word out Wink) should help achieve your target over a reasonable period of time.

If it is a long time since you last trained then the effort level should be at about 65-75% of your max HR.

As you get into the training routine you will all most certainly find ways to squeeze in more training time (like most of us who have to work do).

As you get into the training routine you will all most certainly find ways to squeeze in more training time (like most of us who have to work do).

Ja, Ja, I know.....Wink  Have put in the hours for a comrades and a few two oceans so realise how when one has to, one can find the time.

However I am working at a new initiative (as well as a new marriage) and my time is not my own. 

Asuming I can do 30 mins in the morning, is there any point of doing a second session say 20 mins before my bedtime shower , or is the marginal benefit not worth the efort ?

Well there are some who will say 20 minutes is not worth it, but imo for general fitness coupled with the 30 minutes in the am it will help, doing it just b4 going to bed might negatively affect your ability to fall asleep. Depends how your body reacts and how tired you are.

No point in loosing sleep and increasing stress just for 20 min's.

That being said, I'm outta here the "boss" is indicating that supper is ready..Embarrassed

SwissVan2007-04-11 14:16:02

Personally i like doing more than an hour usually, but 30mins should be fine.

One of my friends who is under the top 50 (i think?) in the country never does more than an hour's intense training through the week and then only weekends he does a bit more. So, it can be done...and as you said you don't want to do it for racing at the moment, so yes...30 minutes will be great and far better than nothing at all.

Good luck!

I would push for 45 minutes.  10 minute warm-up and 10 minute cool down leaving you with 25 minutes to start playing with interresting training programmes.

I would push for 45 minutes.  10 minute warm-up and 10 minute cool down leaving you with 25 minutes to start playing with interresting training programmes.

I try and do 40 minutes. 20 minute warm-up followed by a 20 minute cool down Wink, but mostly only manage 15 of each. 

Actually I am doing most of the riding at a steady 60 - 65% of max HR and will only start doing " interesting training programmes" when I have more time later in the year. That is what the trainer was originally bought for and as far as I can remember, nothing works better to do the final peaking that controlled interval sessions. No fun at all and required a huge amount of concentration. 

For a start Eddy I think it will be fine. you will know when you need to start doing more to improve.

Rather do 30 minutes than nothing. You might be surprised by the outcome.

I agree with SwissVan about another 20min. at night. Really depends on how you feel and how your body reacts.

I say start and try it and see how you feel and how the wife takes it. Rather do the morning and spend time with her in the evening.

Don't know if this makes sense but was written the way my brain is workingWink

Guest Michelle
eddy: Check out some HIIT workouts... they are great for fat burning & are usually no longer than 30 minutes anyway.  Google guerilla cardio or the Body for Life cardio workouts.  Wink 

Obviously you have trained before running a few marathons etc, but I would still say have a professional check up at the doc and get a trainer to advise you on a training plan.

30 minutes can be as tough on the cardio system as 45 minutes, its not time, but more intensity based now .

What works for young 18 year old athletes is gonna kill a middle aged man or woman, and if you are just doing it to increase your health and loose weight a structured plan gives you something to aim at.

Obviously you have trained before running a few marathons etc' date=' but I would still say have a professional check up at the doc and get a trainer to advise you on a training plan.

[/quote']

Widget

Thanks for the warning about the doc. It is something I have advised people about in the past.  Middle-aged, sedentary for more than a year, over weight etc,  go and get yourself checked out BEFORE you start an exercise regime. Just forgot that I now fall into that category Cry

I think in my case (or people like me who have competed at a high level in the past) my expectations are based on earlier memories, whilst my body is possibly not up to it.

I did a flight medical a year ago and all was (very) good at that time but will heed your advise and only do gentle (<60% MHR) rides until then. Managed 35 mins this morning SmileClapClap