PERMA TUBES

shawn

Hi all,

Would appreciate some input from you experts.

I want to fix up an old 26er Mountain bike that is gathering dust in the garage so I can gift it to a security guard in my office building who wants to use it for transport. So I'm wondering what would be the most practical arrangement in terms of the tyres for someone who has very little extra money to deal with problems and doesn't have access to decent bike shops. My thoughts are as follows:

1. The bike was run on a tubeless setup. I know enough to restore it to a functioning tubeless setup which in the short term I'm sure should work like a charm. I'm just concerned that in the long term when the sealant dries up or he gets a puncture which the sealant doesn't sort, aside from possibly finding himself bamboozled on the side of the road not understanding this unusual tubeless arrangement, he's not going to have extra sealant to top it up or plugs and I think at some point this just becomes very uneconomical anyway.
  2. I could try to source some permatubes. Looks like they are available in size 26 however I've noted the comments on this thread cautioning against it and I also note that they aren't very widely used which suggests there must be a reason for that.
  3. Just go with good old fashioned inner tubes and patch kit(s). Possibly add some tyre liners?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi all,

Would appreciate some input from you experts.

I want to fix up an old 26er Mountain bike that is gathering dust in the garage so I can gift it to a security guard in my office building who wants to use it for transport. So I'm wondering what would be the most practical arrangement in terms of the tyres for someone who has very little extra money to deal with problems and doesn't have access to decent bike shops. My thoughts are as follows:

• The bike was run on a tubeless setup. I know enough to restore it to a functioning tubeless setup which in the short term I'm sure should work like a charm. I'm just concerned that in the long term when the sealant dries up or he gets a puncture which the sealant doesn't sort, aside from possibly finding himself bamboozled on the side of the road not understanding this unusual tubeless arrangement, he's not going to have extra sealant to top it up or plugs and I think at some point this just becomes very uneconomical anyway.
  • I could try to source some permatubes. Looks like they are available in size 26 however I've noted the comments on this thread cautioning against it and I also note that they aren't very widely used which suggests there must be a reason for that.
  • Just go with good old fashioned inner tubes and patch kit(s). Possibly add some tyre liners?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I would suggest tire liners and preslimed tubes, I used this set up for my garden guy and its been nearly a year now without any issues..

I have topped up the slime once, and that's only because I was redoing my tubeless conversion and his bike was there at the time..

Edited by Darrynbp

I would suggest tire liners and preslimed tubes, I used this set up for my garden guy and its been nearly a year now without any issues..

was about to post this. those kevlar looking tire liners work a treat even without slime tubes.

was about to post this. those kevlar looking tire liners work a treat even without slime tubes.

Agreed,those things work really well, if I wasn't an overly cautious guy, I wouldnt have bothered with the slimed tubes...

Why not permatubes for a commuter?

Besides the added weight, permatubes are expensive and correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think perma tubes can be fitted to a double walled rims,"not enough space between rim and tube",...

Tubeless is the best Wat to go,

Or liners and slimed tubes...

There is also so debate whether or not perma tubes on big bikes do damage to the rear mech...

I would fit the permatubes.

For someone who needs it to get to work and back with as little fuss as possible it really is the way to go.

These guys don't care about comfort or ride quality. They want something that will allow them to get to work and back without having to wake up to a flat, be late because the patch glue is dry and get fired.

Also bear in mind that the bike will likely be ridden through some pretty rough areas full of glass and debris.

For a reliable commuter I vote permatubes and a single speed.

I would fit the permatubes.

For someone who needs it to get to work and back with as little fuss as possible it really is the way to go.

These guys don't care about comfort or ride quality. They want something that will allow them to get to work and back without having to wake up to a flat, be late because the patch glue is dry and get fired.

Also bear in mind that the bike will likely be ridden through some pretty rough areas full of glass and debris.

For a reliable commuter I vote permatubes and a single speed.

Any idea if perma tubes can be fitted to a double walled rim??

I used to work in a bike shop and the biggest wheel size we fitted was a 24"

The bigger the single walled rims the easier it was to buckle them just by trying to fit the tube.. And was just about impossible to fit them on a double walled rim, tire kept unseating,

This was 2years ago so mabe things have changed????????

Any idea if perma tubes can be fitted to a double walled rim??

I used to work in a bike shop and the biggest wheel size we fitted was a 24"

The bigger the single walled rims the easier it was to buckle them just by trying to fit the tube.. And was just about impossible to fit them on a double walled rim, tire kept unseating,

This was 2years ago so mabe things have changed

Stopaflat (available locally) make for up to 650b.... You can definitely fit them and seat the tires.

It takes some finesse but you can do it.

Edited by Jewbacca

Stopaflat (available locally) make for up to 650b.... You can definitely fit them and seat the tires.

It takes some finesse but you can do it.

Finesse you say? I'd call it blunt force trauma and Tourette's.

Finesse you say? I'd call it blunt force trauma and Tourette's.

hahahahaha and those 45cm long tire levers made of adamantium......

• 2 years later...

I'm getting a bit tired of getting punctures on my road commuter bike. Sealant in the tubes doesn't help much and makes patching a mess.

Are there any permatubes for road bikes? I've had a look but there don't seem to be available locally, only ones for 26".