Wheel Builder

Titanio

Can anyone recommend a good wheel builder?

I have got some record hubs and would like to build a decent set of wheels.  

don't know where you're located, ian at procycles in benoni has built me a set or three in the past. give him a call next week, he's riding in east london, i think, this week

How much do you want to spend on building ? Cos a good builder will charge R250 to build a wheel.......

George from Mean Machine in Germiston also builds a "mean" wheel. A few other bike shops send their wheels to him to build.

It all depends on where you live.

Jason from Mikes Bikes in Greenside can also build a wheel.

i would imagine most bikes shops have a wrencher who can build wheels. it's actually quite easy once you know how. google sheldon+brown+wheel+building if you're at all interested. it's not easy, but it's not as arcane an art as you may think

Yes anyone can build a wheel, its building it correctly and so it lasts thats the key ....

Yes anyone can build a wheel' date=' its building it correctly and so it lasts thats the key .... [/quote']

agreed. i always had someone who really knows what they're doing give the final tweaks to any of the wheels i've built.

The key is even tension, only can really be checked by a tensiometer, not by plinging the spokes !!!

Not every bike shop knows how to setup a wheel correctly, the one LBS near me will never see my wheel's after 2 dismal attempts.

Not every bike shop knows how to setup a wheel correctly' date=' the one LBS near me will never see my wheel's after 2 dismal attempts. [/quote']

Is that the one in "Lionharbour" steet (ingleesh version of the real name).

Not every bike shop knows how to setup a wheel correctly' date=' the one LBS near me will never see my wheel's after 2 dismal attempts. [/quote']

Is that the one in "Lionharbour" steet (ingleesh version of the real name).

Yup Wink They used to be quite good.

I damaged the front wheel hub after the Argus and needed a new one. 1stly they ordered the wrong hub, then they fitted the wrong colour hub and then after 2 attempts to fix the loose spokes (each taking 2 days) i finally took it to George who fixed it in 5 min.

Guest Big H

Obree is correct..... never ever use a wheel builder who plinks the spokes. You can only get even wheel tension with a spoke tensiometer. Do a searc on various topics of this nature. It has been discussed many times over ..... same as the SHIMANO vs kempekkernoglia issue.

Mr Big H. Would you reccomend retentioning the spokes on a regular basis as well? I have Wolber wheels.

Also, what do you mean with the Shimano vs (whatever)?

My Pegeout Mirage has Suntour spares. Is that bad?

If I want to change some spares, must it be Shimano?

Thanks.