My perfect ride(s)

AndreZA

Saturday started like any other. Fell out of bed but this time I was looking forward to spend some time in the saddle. I was aiming to do about 90km but set my sight on anything longer if I felt up to it. I set my Polar to my Medium intensity of between 130 and 159 bpm.

So I get dressed in typical winter gear with termal base top, short sleeve summer top and thermal arm warmers over my Cape Storm shorts and Giordana themal longs. With a Cape Epic buff over my ears and helmet covering that I cover my hand with cosy LG witner gloves.

It's 7:50 and I'm off. From my place in Florida Glen I go down Gordon at 72km/h untill I go to Long and made my way through Linden and then Randburg. Along William Nicol past Cycle Lab and Monte I took the slip road to Witkoppen and around Fourways onto Cedar. Along there to the Lion Park road and left and firts right towards Malibongwe. Got there and decided that I would to the Kromdraai road. Once there and the traffic vanished. It was just me and the road and every now and again annother single soul on their bike would past me. I thought to myself, if I die now, I'll be okay with it because this is perfect. Not a breeze. I'm perfectly dressed for the weather and heart rate is around 145bpm. Along this road I past some Springbok, ostriches and some cattle. Here and there the children are playing in their yards.

It took an hour to get from Malibongwe all the way to the N14 but I did not care. I decided to turn right and go along the Venterdorp road. Still nice but the cars were more frequant. I took the left turn to Brandvlei and onto Randfontein. Stopped at Uncle Harry's and had to refuel. It's been 97km and 4 hours since I left home and first time I put my feet on the ground. I got me a strawberry milk, chocolate and two coctail sausage rolls. Not to mention that I've already had 1.25 bottles of Energade, 2 bananas and an energy bar.

After a nice relaxing pit stop I set off again to do the last 28km. Now I had to go to Ontdekkers and face the traffic there. It was fine, there was nothing that could spoil my day now. The traffic was hectic but allthe cars behaved and I got home safe in a time of 5:00:24 with an avarage of 25km/h. A nice 125km ride and my butt is not protesting. Those Planet-X saddles are godsend. My HR was over the limit for only 13 minutes for the entire time and I'm sure that is why I could just continue riding.

I had some left over spaghetti bollagnese from the night before and I dosed off. An hour later I woke up and was ready to face the world again.

On Sunday afternoon I went for a MTB ride along the spruit and still my behind is fine. I would not have said that I rode that far the day before. I did my usual 37km loop in the same time as usual and my legs felt fine. At home I got back in time to see all the toast along the TdF route and the final sprint. Not even LA making it to the podium could spoil my mood.

Toady, I can't wait for the weekend.

@ Jackes1754

Yes I did and also the pedestrians. Everybody were happy to be outside.

@ Holly Roller

No, just neoprene toe caps. It's one thing to wear something that has a purpose then something just to show off.

Cheers Para!

That is why I started riding. Nice to see someone who loves what he does. Long haul to the weekend though ......

Thanks for sharing your positive experience. Hope you have many, many more. Always great when you achieve that place in your cycling where your body and mind and soul are content...

Nice one Para

'The mind,body and the bike are one,

When the mind and body are right, the bike is right'

Great to hear the butt is fine after all that riding.

Mine on the other hand is complaining a bit about being abused for just under 7 hours on Saturday and just under 6 hours of Sunday. And MTBing in Botswana is hard work, you don't have any downhills to get off the saddle and rest!

Some days riding can just be so serene and peaceful.

Good to see someone with such passion for riding a bike. Thanks for the account dude. Gave me more reason to look forward to the weekend.