29ers

Holeshot

Been following the latest products on offer at Sea Otter and lots and lots of 29er bikes. Anyone have one of these in SA? Thoughts? Good or Bad?

Indeed baby! Best bikes ever, been riding a 29'er for about 2 years now, they are cool! If you get a good one that is, in my not so humble opinion the Titus RacerX is one of the best of the lot, you have to consider how tall you are before making the jump though. I'm 6 foot 3 so for me it makes sense, if you're 5 foot 3 then it won't make any kind of sense at all!

Guest Big H

What about tubes and tyres????? Not available in your local LBS ......surely only at special shops and at what price??????

Solomons in Pretoria had a Gary Fisher in ther advertisments in the bicycle mags not long ago.
Big H2007-04-16 03:32:24

Tks for the replies. I am not the tallest guy out there but the idea of the 29" front wheel to help with roll and stability sounds like the hot ticket. Besides a Motocross bike has a larger front wheel for similar reasons. Guess the 69er is maybe the best of both worlds? 29 front, 26 rear. Just seems like alot of hype and guys must be onto something? Seems like Gary Fisher is coming out with a huge line-up for 08 and alot of other brands also introducing.

Guest Big H

Remember you will need a new fork. That might just be cost prohibitive and remember about the availability of tyres and tubes. If you go new fork go 20mm through axle for the new wheel so you can use a larger rotor up front safely.

Tks for the replies. I am not the tallest guy out there but the idea of the 29" front wheel to help with roll and stability sounds like the hot ticket. Besides a Motocross bike has a larger front wheel for similar reasons. Guess the 69er is maybe the best of both worlds? 29 front' date=' 26 rear. Just seems like alot of hype and guys must be onto something? Seems like Gary Fisher is coming out with a huge line-up for 08 and alot of other brands also introducing.[/quote']

2 Different size wheels means 2 spare tubes to carry with. Biggest draw-back in my eyes is when you are stranded next to the road and there is nobody to help you with a spare tube.

w-endfan2007-04-16 22:32:55

What about tubes and tyres????? Not available in your local LBS ......surely only at special shops and at what price??????

Cyclelab also stock 29'r tyres and tubes.

I just use normal tubes? No issues, I run tubeless most of the time anyway. As to forks, CCS has stock of the Reba and if they don't, they can get. The only issue is getting the tyres that you want, am currently waiting for my Specialized tyres then I will be happy again.

Guest Big H

I suppose you will be better off than I am in Nigeria..... My closest shop is Chainreaction Cycles in Ireland or Bouwer Broers in Pretoria.... both are 4500km away as the crow flies!!!!!!

' date=' if you're 5 foot 3 then it won't make any kind of sense at all![/quote']

CryCryCry