20min TT to establish training zones

Ok, so I'm very new to this (no laughing please) Embarrassed

I followed the Hunter Allen 'beginner to intermediate' 20min TT test process, no problem there. IDT made it surprisingly easy

Problems arise when I put the info into the training programme I'm using, www.2peak.com.

It formulates based on the 3, 12, 30mins etc points typically used

Basically the number where all approx 15 watts to high.

Needless to say I buckled myself trying to ride to the Watts given in the first two rides, before realizing that HR / Watts should match up, and they definitely now did not.

I've made steady manual corrections, and am now back on track, but wanted to hear peoples thoughts... Is it normal to experience this?

PPWTF2009-07-31 04:03:54

Ok' date=' so I'm very new to this (no laughing please) Embarrassed

I followed the Hunter Allen 'beginner to intermediate' 20min TT test process, no problem there. IDT made it surprisingly easy

Problems arise when I put the info into the training programme I'm using, www.2peak.com.

It formulates based on the 3, 12, 30mins etc points typically used

Basically the number where all approx 15 watts to high.

Needless to say I buckled myself trying to ride to the Watts given in the first two rides, before realizing that HR / Watts should match up, and they definitely now did not.

I've made steady manual corrections, and am now back on track, but wanted to hear peoples thoughts... Is it normal to experience this?

[/quote']

Yes LOL

Guest colonel

Yes I nearly gave up cycling on Wednesday due to a similiar things....

So should I be making the 15 watt correction/reduction?

Is it that I should just ride till I can no longer match HR/Watts, that they won't stay in the complimentary zones?

Honestly, to start i had two rides that would have taken a week each to recover from.....

either HR training meant I was coasting, or it's very officially confirmed.....

I AM WEAKPinch

PPWTF2009-07-31 04:34:25

Guest colonel

I did T-Max intervals this week and I still havent recovered properly so dont stress and my eye sight is slowly coming back...colonel2009-07-31 04:32:48

I did T-Max intervals this week and I still havent recovered properly so dont stress and my eye sight is slowly coming back...

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL nice to share a laugh with someone else who's suffered

PPWTF2009-07-31 04:37:25

Ja, my biggest issue with training with power, the workouts are so intense and you need a 9 day week to make it work, at least 4 recovery days...

Jo just started training on power and it'll take a while to get used to - it's more intense (as mentioned), but shorter sessions.

I just hope it's not gonna take the 'fun' out of riding our bike as one can get a bit obsessed about it. She's freaking out abt stop streets and robots - keep the power up...

Jo just started training on power and it'll take a while to get used to - it's more intense (as mentioned)' date=' but shorter sessions.

I just hope it's not gonna take the 'fun' out of riding our bike as one can get a bit obsessed about it. She's freaking out abt stop streets and robots - keep the power up...[/quote']

But the crowd she rides with now don't stop at robots anyway Wink.

(Sorry, couldn't resist).

... IDT made it surprisingly easy

you did not do it hard enough!  LOL

HR and Watts should match up where?  in www.2peak.com????

do your 20min all out on the IDT.

take 95% of that -- this would be your FTP.

do 2x20min @ 95% of your FTP (or 4x15 @ 95% of FTP) -- this is to raise your threshold power.

do 5x5min @ 115% to 118% of FTP -- this is for VO2max intervals.

HR and Watts do not 'match up' -- the only reason I wear the HR strap is

to show my mind that my body is lying when it is saying that I am

having a heart attack!

go to the wattage forum on google groups -- plenty to read there.

So the session stops when the HR / Watts figures no longer correspond?

Intense is ok, as long as I don't just hammer on regardless. The very reason I switched to power was to better control myself / stop having the 3 months hard, 6 weeks off broken experience......

the only reason I wear the HR strap is

to show my mind that my body is lying when it is saying that I am

having a heart attack!

canning my self just now LOL thanks Dr Seuss

I need to sit down and talk through this with someone, clearly I am somewhat in the dark Ouch

Anyone know of somebody in PE who's able to help me out?

PPWTF2009-07-31 05:15:38

Anyone know of somebody in PE who's able to help me out?

dont know about PE -- send Bruce or Bikemax a PM -- they will have you suffering in no-time!

reading through the posts, and the mountain of online info, there seems to be a lot of 'debate' about the use of only power, or power coupled with HR data....

when I originally started with the new Power data from the TT I would have been completely stuffed if I had not seen the HRM numbers, which clearly indicated I riding way harder than the previous HR guided sessions, like way to hard.

Now what I had done was to keep track of HRZ figures ailed to the Power zones. Is this not correct?