Carbon or Aluminium frame?

Jedi

Can someone help me out here.  What is better Carbon or Aluminium? Is Carbon much lighter than Aluminium.  I am 52kg, so would Carbon or Aluminium be a better ride for me?  And most importantly - what is the price difference?

Unless you take the same make of bikes with the same geometry and set-up and ride then straight after each other, you will not notice the different. A Raleigh carbon will not ride the rame as a Colnago carbon because of alot of factors. A Cervelo alu will not ride the same as a Cannondale alu (actually nothing rides like a 'dale alu).

At ur weight, heck u could ride solid lead and ur overall riding weight  will still be lower than most.

I say go aluminium with carbon seat pillar and fork, save urself tons of cash cos quite frankly the couple of 100 grams u save on carbon frames, in my opinion does not justify the price increase. With a carbon seat post ur ride should be more comfy and with a carbon fork as well.

At ur wieght, u really don't need to go full carbon, thus u can save urself a ton of cash - perhaps take the mrs on that holiday she has always wanted.

For excellent priced, custom built aluminium frames with carbon parts see

www.produx.co.za

Cannot go wrong - i have been riding one for over 4 years now - love it! - wont break the bank balance either

Hey too Hot!!!!, I thought you rode a BMC SL01?

I was just going to ask you about it as I am looking at frames around that price range - now you start raving about produx and not BMCShocked

"Too Hot" - thanks for all the advice .. it is most appreciated.  Just one thing - I am the Mrs.WinkWink  or did you think may "day job" as a jockey.

"Too Hot" - thanks for all the advice .. it is most appreciated.  Just one thing - I am the Mrs.WinkWink  or did you think may "day job" as a jockey.

Sorry Embarrassed Well u can take Mr Jedi out then Wink

Hey too Hot!!!!' date=' I thought you rode a BMC SL01?

I was just going to ask you about it as I am looking at frames around that price range - now you start raving about produx and not BMCShocked
[/quote']

Hi Racman, unfortunately i had to send my BMC frame back as their was a problem with the BB. So i built my produx back up again and am riding on that for now.

I really liked that BMC, but my produx is still great,i looked after that frame so it is still mint condition.

If ur keen when BMC give me my frame back or a new one i will probably sell the BMC frame as i need the money, so lemme know if ur keen, probably look to sell it for around 4-5k.

Tom Boonen rode Paris-Roubaix and an alu frame. If designed and built well, alu makes a very good frame material.

Carbon is in fashion now, so if you need  bling & can spend a lot, go for carbon.

Ride quality is better on a carbon frame, with the same components. But your seat, tyre choise and wheels also have a big influence on comfort.

I've just gone from a CAAD 5 to a Six13 and have to say the ride is sooo much more comfy on the six13 and she is really responsive. I find a huge difference.

My opinion, maybe go mixed, best of both worlds, but definitely depends on how much you are willing to spend and how competetive you are going to be!!

I dunno what is your budget but rather go for an expensive alu frame than a cheap carbon frame.

I thought carbon was a bit of a beat-me-upper, being less resilient than alu and more so for lighter riders. I experienced this 1st hand going from a SL3 Bianchi (Alu with Cardon forks) to my Bianchi L'Una (full carbon) - felt like I was bouncing all over the show, until I realised this is what they call "responsiveness".

Isn't the 6-13 an alu-carbon mix?