Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Are you sure that's not just a generic press? Looks a bit overkill for pressing in headset cups, unless you want to shorten the length of the head tube at the same time :-)

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice Eppie. I too bought an old cast iron truing stand but need to renovate it as a few bits were modified over the years. I also picked up a bike stand which is so heavy that no matter the force used on the bike, the stand doesn't move. The chap I got them from said his grandfather had brought them into the country in the early 1900's!

Are you sure that's not just a generic press? Looks a bit overkill for pressing in headset cups, unless you want to shorten the length of the head tube at the same time :-)

I suppose it could be, was also thinking that. The headset cups fits into it perfectly though and it works very well I tested it on one of my old steel frames.

I'm looking for a shimano 600 6207 170mm crank set to replace on a vintage bike. I have found some on ebay but none from South Africa. Any advise on where I might find this in RSA?

Here's the Cinelli I have...

And this is what I posted there, sorta...if anyone can correct me and help with info, would be much obliged... :thumbup:

Ja, that's how I am leaning, but I am itching to ride it! Have got some wheels I will pop on for now just to ride in the meantime. I was given a set of Fiamme rims. Haven't heard much about them before. And there's a set of F.I.R. rims at home somewhere too. I was supposed to go with my mate to see Ron Thompson this week, but we didn't get around to it...he might have...I will check tomorrow when I get the seatpost.

As far as the provenance of the bike goes, only done a cursory bit of research. If my reading's right, it's no older than 1965 and no younger than 1968. Will delve further, but some Cinelli experts seem to think tracking a bike via its serial number is pointless.

Grumpy thinks the hubs are older, but I wonder if that's wishful. Will, like with the frame, delve a bit deeper. The crank looks a lot "younger" too. 

post-1604-0-83357800-1455371932_thumb.jpg

post-1604-0-71072800-1455371964_thumb.jpg

post-1604-0-14940500-1455371989_thumb.jpg

post-1604-0-29228300-1455372011_thumb.jpg

post-1604-0-66080700-1455372045_thumb.jpg

Thought I'd make progress today...but found myself taking a couple of steps backwards instead. Anyhows...decided to slap on some wheels so I could at least ride it a bit - it's a set of formula hubs laced to F.I.R. tubbie rims - but...Grumps left the seatpost at his mate's house, and the mate was hiding from Grumps because he was tired after a long day of working on Grumps's pallisade fence...long story...

I was going to just throw in any old seatpost, put a tubbie on the front wheel - that we had, in Grumps's garage, but in the end, we never bothered with it... - tape the handlebars, and there was the next snag...I love the sweep of the bars, but the left side seemed to sweep that bit more than the right...there was a definite bend, looking like it starts at the collar...I was too depressed to take a picture. Will pop in at Grumps's place tomorrow to drink coffee, shake our heads, and beat something...

For now, this is what the bike looks like...the chain is one I rescued off the fixie I destroyed...will work for now...

post-1604-0-40265600-1455372985_thumb.jpg

ps, Have buffed the Campy hubs a bit, but still not happy with them...should lace them up early next week though.

Edited by Tumbleweed

Thought I'd make progress today...but found myself taking a couple of steps backwards instead. Anyhows...decided to slap on some wheels so I could at least ride it a bit - it's a set of formula hubs laced to F.I.R. tubbie rims - but...Grumps left the seatpost at his mate's house, and the mate was hiding from Grumps because he was tired after a long day of working on Grumps's pallisade fence...long story...

I was going to just throw in any old seatpost, but a tubbie on the front wheel - that we had, in Grumps's garage, but in the end, we never bothered with it... - tape the handlebars, and there was the next snag...I love the sweep of the bars, but the left side seemed to sweep that bit more than the right...there was a definite bend, looking like it starts at the collar...I was too depressed to take a picture. Will pop in at Grumps's place tomorrow to drink coffee, shake our heads, and beat something...

For now, this is what the bike looks like...the chain is one I rescued off the fixie I destroyed...will work for now...

attachicon.gifCbGY3MeWIAAbE8r.jpg

ps, Have buffed the Campy hubs a bit, but still not happy with them...should lace them up early next week though.

Man that is a beauty. The elusive Cinelli that is still missing from my collection.

Good evening guys.Not 100% sure I am asking on the right thread,but does anyone have any 9 speed Chorus or Record components in NOS condition.Building my old Daccordi up. Please pm me.

Kind regards

Lovely Cinelli. I need a head tube badge for my Cinelli. Please can can you let me know if you have one for sale or know of someone may have one.

Thanks! I will do. Grumps was actually bitching - he does that a lot - about the head badge for his Cinelli, which was being worked on. If there's one going, I will be sure to let you know.

Guys, track pedals from that era...would '60s Campy cages cut it?