Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

The theory is that the restoration of bicycles is easier, cheaper than restoring cars. The problem with bicycles is that their is a huge number of manufacturers spanning many countries with thousands of models so you are always chasing a new collectable frame and before you open your eyes (or your better half does it for you) you have run out of space to house them all.

Beware, its addictive.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The theory is that the restoration of bicycles is easier, cheaper than restoring cars. The problem with bicycles is that their is a huge number of manufacturers spanning many countries with thousands of models so you are always chasing a new collectable frame and before you open your eyes (or your better half does it for you) you have run out of space to house them all.

Beware, its addictive.

:clap: Well...now...since going through this thread at length...the thought has certainly crossed my mind....AND...thinking about these yesteryear bikes...Sooo...addictive warning duly noted :ph34r:

I bought this lonesome frame I found hanging in the rafters during a recent trip to the "arm and a leg" store in Alberton.

This is a Fongers built RIH from Groningen and dates from 1968/9.

The origins of RIH date back to 1961 when the first fames were built in Amsterdam until closure of the factory a few years ago. Due to demand outstripping supply in the 60's the RIH owners allowed Fongers to build RIH frames under license from 1966 to the closure of the Fongers factory in 1991.

The RIH brand still exists after the closure of the Amsterdam factory and bikes are still produced to this day.

Anyway, the new red RIH frame, together with an identical blue RIH frame was bought from Basil Cohen's shop in Johannesburg for two brothers (names withheld as I don't have permission to disclose  the details). The frames were raced for many years with the red frame sold to another two owners before being acquired by the "arm and a leg"shop.

The frame is in original condition with the chrome work being almost perfect although there are a few nicks and scraps.

I have built the frame with Campagnolo Gran Sport/Nuovo parts with a touch of Universal (callipers), Regina, Cinelli bar and stem (I prefer to use newer more trustworthy parts to original steel bars), Brooks Select saddle and newer Mavic Gentleman's rims with new Continental 28c rubber. 

A short test ride along the Spruit and I am happy to report that I will be using this bike a lot more this summer.

post-44986-0-22199300-1572353634_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-48304200-1572353656_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-72085800-1572353682_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-84327100-1572353696_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-39227300-1572353711_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-60741400-1572353729_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-16691000-1572353749_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-00738600-1572353768_thumb.jpg

Wandered off to our Training Centre to see how the apprentices were doing and saw one of them commutes on this.

Pure 80's Hi-NRG Paintwork!  I didn't know Le Turbo even made "MTBs"

I must admit...the ole road bikes are way prettier than MTB,s of the same era...

I am so upset I did not keep the trek. Stupid past me.

Just Googled kwik kwik...looks like that TREK 2300 was maybe worth something...

Just coz its Friday and this thread NOW has me looking at road bikes of yesteryear AND I just happen to be a TREK fan.....

Quote........................"

1988 Trek 2300 This bicycle marked Trek's entry into the carbon fiber frame market. It has three carbon fiber tubes connected to aluminum lugs, chain and seat stays and fork. Trek later produced it's famous OCLV complete carbon fiber frames, but this is where the composite bikes started. The Shimano Ultegra component group included the ill-fated Biopace chainrings. Trek's Iso-c hard anodized aero rims and Look clipless pedals finished off this trend setter..."..unquote

post-136415-0-03575400-1572596409_thumb.jpg

Just Googled kwik kwik...looks like that TREK 2300 was maybe worth something...

I know, I even met the dude 3 days after I sold it for my friend. I would love to get my hands back on it. 

Hi Kenty

The locally built Zini with 525 Reynolds tubing is a nice frame and will ride beautifully.  Bit heavy but that shouldn't put you off.

Some nice bits (Wolber GTX rims, Simplex derailleurs).

The biggest thing to bear in mind is that even fully restored the bike will not be worth more than about R2,500 R3,000.  Don't over capitalise. 

As a first restoration it will provide you with a good and cheapish base to learn/work off.

Restorations, especially for SA built frames are becoming very expensive given the exorbitant cost of resprays, difficulty finding a proper "chromer" (careful who you use), cost of some parts which are in short supply. 

Don't be afraid to contact guys and girls on the thread to sound off some ideas.

Enjoy.

Hi Kenty

The locally built Zini with 525 Reynolds tubing is a nice frame and will ride beautifully.  Bit heavy but that shouldn't put you off.

Some nice bits (Wolber GTX rims, Simplex derailleurs).

The biggest thing to bear in mind is that even fully restored the bike will not be worth more than about R2,500 R3,000.  Don't over capitalise. 

As a first restoration it will provide you with a good and cheapish base to learn/work off.

Restorations, especially for SA built frames are becoming very expensive given the exorbitant cost of resprays, difficulty finding a proper "chromer" (careful who you use), cost of some parts which are in short supply. 

Don't be afraid to contact guys and girls on the thread to sound off some ideas.

Enjoy.

Thanks for that...gonna contact this okie and see whats what ......I think I like the idea its a complete bike that I can tinker with for a first timer.....and yes I agree , will not put TOO much into into ...for starters will clean the ole girl up nicely and a good ole splash of lube etc etc....

Edited by Kenty