Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Mornings...you see ..you okies have me hooked...

Is this worth buying as a first time starter fixer upper restorer dont know what Im doing , project??..(this price fits my pocket right now)

Tell me how it is , please...

IF it has not been sold already!!

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/382789-gotty-hansen-zini-road-bike/

Put simply, my advice would be to just go for it!

Strip the frame down - a set of allen keys will get you 95% of the way there. Take it to your LBS to get things like the cassette, crank, BB and headset removed - or buy the specific tools you need... Once you do one restoration, you'll most certainly need those tools for the next one. And like Loosecog has previously warned, there WILL be a next one. No need to go for Parktool, there are many other good quality tools available for a lot less ZAR.

Then get some degreaser, carwash and cutting compond. Degrease the frame followed by a wash with the carwash. Hit it with the cutting compond and it will almost look new. For a first resto, leave the chips and scratches - it adds character. If it really bugs you, head down to a hobby shop and get some paint in those cute mini paint tins in the required colours to touch them up.

Then soak the parts in degreaser, disassembling them as far as you feel comfortable to do. Scrub them with your toothbrush and go buy yourself a new one. Then rinse everything off with water and dry them. Leave them in the sun to get rid of all excess moisture after. You can reassemble everything at this stage making sure to grease and lube as you go. If you want to add some bling to the groupset you can polish them... Plenty of tutorials out there. Check out BuffsVintageBikes thread in Build Projects.

All in all, you shouldn't be in for much money, even with buying your own tools. 

Enjoy :thumbup:

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take care with the degreaser, buy the one that can be used on aluminium. If you use a corrosive degreaser all the alu bits turn black and its a hell of a job polishing them again. CleanGreen, Flite, etc works well but so does paraffin and its much cheaper. A Dremel (or cheaper equivalent) also comes in handy. Older bike parts are quite hardy and tend to shine up nicely with some elbow grease. Have fun - uTube has lots of vids, I am still finding new ones!

Put simply, my advice would be to just go for it!

Strip the frame down - a set of allen keys will get you 95% of the way there. Take it to your LBS to get things like the cassette, crank, BB and headset removed - or buy the specific tools you need... Once you do one restoration, you'll most certainly need those tools for the next one. And like Loosecog has previously warned, there WILL be a next one. No need to go for Parktool, there are many other good quality tools available for a lot less ZAR.

Then get some degreaser, carwash and cutting compond. Degrease the frame followed by a wash with the carwash. Hit it with the cutting compond and it will almost look new. For a first resto, leave the chips and scratches - it adds character. If it really bugs you, head down to a hobby shop and get some paint in those cute mini paint tins in the required colours to touch them up.

Then soak the parts in degreaser, disassembling them as far as you feel comfortable to do. Scrub them with your toothbrush and go buy yourself a new one. Then rinse everything off with water and dry them. Leave them in the sun to get rid of all excess moisture after. You can reassemble everything at this stage making sure to grease and lube as you go. If you want to add some bling to the groupset you can polish them... Plenty of tutorials out there. Check out BuffsVintageBikes thread in Build Projects.

All in all, you shouldn't be in for much money, even with buying your own tools. 

Enjoy :thumbup:

Mornings , great advice and thank you....appreciated...

Take care with the degreaser, buy the one that can be used on aluminium. If you use a corrosive degreaser all the alu bits turn black and its a hell of a job polishing them again. CleanGreen, Flite, etc works well but so does paraffin and its much cheaper. A Dremel (or cheaper equivalent) also comes in handy. Older bike parts are quite hardy and tend to shine up nicely with some elbow grease. Have fun - uTube has lots of vids, I am still finding new ones!

Thank you Mr Cog....jip I have paraffin...what I use to service and clean fishing reels with...so thats covered and will steal some of the missus clean green....and I have a Dremel....Sooo...some basic bike tools and lets see how far down this rabbit hole goes.....

• 1 month later...

After a trip to CBR in Durbanville it now has a sexy new paint job - The seller gave me the original damaged fork which James at CBR repaired.

I really wanted Rolf Vector wheels because the colours match  - this decision made for a headache as they don't come with Campy Hubs and none are available

Some googling found this rare 25mm seatpost which cost the same as the frame

Louis at Knipe Racing put on a Shimano cassette and it seems to be working fine - in my driveway anyway

The groupset is from bits I had and some hub purchases - in retrospect I should maybe have just bough a new matching Chorus set as I don't like mix and match.  As usual trying to save money on a build went south

I actually have the original and restored Look Carbon Cranks but they don't work with Campagnolo so I'd have to go Shimano and I just can't face the prospect of going that route.  Maybe if the gears start grinding....

Still a bit to do like sort out the cockpit - the butterfly holding the stem in place is jammed so I can't trim the steerer tube yet

And those are just my test pedals

By my standards, a modern road bike

post-81229-0-36376600-1576685585_thumb.jpg

post-81229-0-98959700-1576685907_thumb.jpg

post-81229-0-89081000-1576685924_thumb.jpg

After a trip to CBR in Durbanville it now has a sexy new paint job .........

I really like how this came out, but I think a set of black deep sections will make it even nicer. The black handlebar/stem/head tube in front and the black rear triangle will work nicely with black wheels. I do like the Rolfs, they are great wheels, and I know the red is right too, but as you know, beauty is in the eye of the (sometimes crazy) beholder. :blush:

Edited by DJR

I'm inclined to agree with DJR, I love how the bike turned out with that paint job and that crank but I don't think those Rolf's do it the justice it deserves.

I was thinking along your lines Buff and DJR.  Deep sections don't really do it for me but nice blacked out brand new Shamal Mille were offered to me for ridiculously cheap (relatively) money.  I told the seller I didn't need them and his response was "there's always another bike"

I really love those rolf vector comps though but as you've confirmed my own thoughts, the change will happen

post-81229-0-03560500-1576757405_thumb.jpg

post-81229-0-29251500-1576757429_thumb.jpg

DJR and Buff  - happy now?  Does look better I confess

Going to put on some pedals and take it for it's maiden voyage under my stewardship anyway

sorry i prefer the red ...red is the only colour for the wheels on a LOOK

post-85316-0-93487500-1577102538_thumb.jpeg

Edited by bikebloke