Ironman Training

kino

kino

I'm in the same "boat" and would also like to get a swimming coach that could help me with my IM training. Do you mind posting the info on the website?

If you cannot swim with a smooth and slow stroke, find a coach and get the stroke basics right. Doing stroke drills is a great way of getting some aerobic training done as well, and you don't perpetuate a bad habit by swimming lots of laps.

You don't need a coach though for training. Most of our training group agree that extra time spent on the bike is the most effective way to a faster IM, in fact, the one thing I will be doing more of is low intensity Brick sessions.

These days you can almost buy a good swim time with a R4000 wetsuit. I was a swimmer throughout college, and the difference between me and non-swimmers is vastly reduced when we are all in wetsuits.

I think the advice on finding a pair of feet and riding the sardine run coupled to a good wetsuit should see most people finish in a reasonable time.

• 3 weeks later...

TI is very expensive. If you want wetsuits try 3-sport. very nice people and they do combo deals. Other thing that will get you use to the long distance after all tips have bee tried above is to do group open water swims. Atlantic tri club and 3-sport all do groupd swims.

As above I also train with HR momnitor and leave the drills for the off season when you don't need to worry about fitness

Didn't read all the comments so sorry if I'm repeating somebody

Good luck and catch you on the finish line