Cellphones to protect Pedestrians/Cyclists

shaunh

Will this technology help reduce cyclists accidents?

Tokyo, Japan ? Nissan is developing an advanced "intelligent transportation system" (ITS) that will use cellphones to help reduce accidents involving pedestrians via global positioning (GPS).

It will use the next-generation 3G cellular network, due to be launched in Japan during April 2007, in which a built-in GPS function will provide the exact location of the pedestrian's phone.

This information will be fed into the system, enabling it to determine the relative positions of the vehicle and the pedestrian ? and alert the driver of a potential collision.

The study will focus on what types of pedestrian data are most relevant to help prevent accidents and investigate factors such as the directions in which they are moving, and the speeds and distances between them

A built-in GPS function will provide the exact location of the phone

Various driver alerts, such as visual warnings and audible alarms, will also be tested.

The current research is part of a Nissan experimental programme in Kanagawa prefecture that began in October 2006, aimed at reducing traffic accidents and congestion by using real-time data collected from the vehicles.

The project will enable it to test various technology concepts and develop the most suitable solution for wide-scale application.