Brooks Saddle: Big, ugly, and oh-so-comfy!

RodTi

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Brookes England Colt on my roadbike :whistling:

And bollocks to anyone who thinks it looks stooopid... i love it :clap:

It is pink too :eek:

Edited by Zerin

I have a Brookes England Colt on my roadbike :whistling:

And bollocks to anyone who thinks it looks stooopid... i love it :clap:

It is pink too :eek:

Why don't you post a picture and let US be the judges?

I would but I am scared I will get shot, and buried in a big hole, at the next race where a Hubber may recognise my bike. :ph34r: Not only do i have a pink Brookes, I have put it on a Merida Juliet Ride Lite :whistling:

Appears the wife doesnt want to share her bike for judging. So I will :P

Overall side view, some of the pink detail may not be obvious

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy29/cyberaver/cycling%20stuff/Pink_Machine_3.jpg

A closer view of some of the pink

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy29/cyberaver/cycling%20stuff/pink_machine_2.jpg

The Brooks detail

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy29/cyberaver/cycling%20stuff/pink_machine_1.jpg

I got my Brooks Team Titanium from a mate in the UK. I will hopefully take it for a ride this weekend. post-7327-0-01471600-1328700064.jpgpost-7327-0-04344600-1328700065.jpg

Looking good! A few miles later - what's the comfort like?

• 2 weeks later...

Rod

Thanks for a great review - one of the few genuine reviews on the Hub (sadly). I'm keen to know how you're finding that Swift now after (hopefully) having put in quite a bit of time on it? I'm looking at getting the Swift with the ti rails, eyewateringly pricey I know, but I want it, so that pretty much seals it.

I'm a bit worried about the saddle being quite a bit wider, I ride a Spez 143mm normally which fits me perfectly. Or at least the Spez "Ass Width Measurer" thingy says so, and it works for me, so clearly not hype. Any cons to the quite substantially wider width over "standard" saddles? And the Swift is narrow by Brooks standards!

Mine will be going on a singlespeed (Cotic Soda for now and Cotic Simple 29er later) with a retro-themed build.

PS. If I may suggest your ride would look mighty fine with a set of PDW Whiskey Grips on to compliment the saddle.

• 2 weeks later...

Rod

Thanks for a great review - one of the few genuine reviews on the Hub (sadly). I'm keen to know how you're finding that Swift now after (hopefully) having put in quite a bit of time on it? I'm looking at getting the Swift with the ti rails, eyewateringly pricey I know, but I want it, so that pretty much seals it.

I'm a bit worried about the saddle being quite a bit wider, I ride a Spez 143mm normally which fits me perfectly. Or at least the Spez "Ass Width Measurer" thingy says so, and it works for me, so clearly not hype. Any cons to the quite substantially wider width over "standard" saddles? And the Swift is narrow by Brooks standards!

Mine will be going on a singlespeed (Cotic Soda for now and Cotic Simple 29er later) with a retro-themed build.

PS. If I may suggest your ride would look mighty fine with a set of PDW Whiskey Grips on to compliment the saddle.

Hey! Thanks for the PM. Will pop up a proper reply tomorrow - I'll take forever to type it out on the phone! :P

Rod

Took me a bit longer than planned to get back to you - hope I can help!

The Cotic Soda is one purty frame - please pop up some pics when you're done with the build! :thumbup:

The brown B17 Special is now sitting on the old frame, converted to a singlespeed...

The Swift is now on the old-new softail.

Regarding the width issue - it unfortunately might be something you would have to keep in mind... but I don't necessarily think it has to be an insurmountable obstacle... Straight off the bat - I'm probably the most un-supple specimen to ever throw his leg over a bicycle... I have manhole covers for hamstrings, and think I skipped that part of my development in the womb, when I was supposed to get elastic-y joints. Think lego-man. I apologise if I'm belabouring this point, but I feel it necessary, since I seriously doubt that anyone who is moderately supple will necessarily battle like I did initially...

It took some major getting used to when I first started riding with the B17 Special - but keep in mind that it's a whopping 175mm across at the back... I don't have particularly long legs, and did I mention I'm as supple as an ironing-board(?), so it was a bit hair-raising the first time I took a drop-off, and realised I couldn't slip over the back of the saddle like I used to... It definitely required a change to my riding style, and I needed to keep the extra time it took to get off the back, in mind when picking lines and planning ahead...

With this being said - I kind of managed a half-off-the-back stance if I needed to make the adjustment quickly, but things sometimes got tricky, particularly with the baggies occasionally hooking on the two saddle-bag loops/eyelets that you find on the back of the Brooks saddles...

Despite the above, the relatively few times per ride that I needed to pop off the back, compared to the many km's spent sitting on the saddle, in absolute comfort, saw me readily overlooking any minor inconvenience. Bottom line is, you can adapt your stance, and get around it...

Regarding the Swift - at 25mm narrower (160mm) than the Special - the difference was major. I can slip off the back with little to no problems on the Swift, when compared to the Special. I would be inclined to say that the same should apply to you, but of course - the major difference is that I'm coming from a 175mm down to a 150mm - whereas you would be going from a 143mm up to a 150mm... But then again - it's only 7mm in difference, and when you add in that a well-worn-in, and cared-for leather saddle, will actually become smoother with the passing of time, I seriously doubt it will be very problematic...

I'm obviously quite biased towards these saddles... I think they can be comfortable as hell - and don't get me started on the craftsmanship, and that if you look after it, you'll never need a new saddle... Weight issues aside, the only other reason why one might not consider them, would possibly be due to the width - but in your case, they are so close, I don't see it being a factor...

Hope this settles any queries! :)

I have only managed 75 km since I got tehe saddle. But it is amazing. I will not remove this from any bike I own. Cannot wait for it to settle.

I have only managed 75 km since I got tehe saddle. But it is amazing. I will not remove this from any bike I own. Cannot wait for it to settle.

[thumbs] ;)

How do u treat it before it's ready for use. Got one as a gift. Just don't want to muck it up. Green one nogal.

How do u treat it before it's ready for use. Got one as a gift. Just don't want to muck it up. Green one nogal.

Tough one this - as googling "how to break in a Brooks saddle" reveals all manner of methods...

One of the more extreme, and rather frequently occurring suggestions, would have you submerging the saddle overnight in "neatsfoot oil" - and whereas I am unclear as to what an equivalent oil would be here, I would be very cautious in this approach...

Simple rule of thumb - very little, very seldom, and use your common sense! :P

Depending on your climate - we're generally much drier down here than in many other regions where people normally use Brooks saddles - so I reckon we could get away with being a bit more liberal in applying oils/dubbin than other areas... With this being said, use too much too regularly, and you're likely to make the saddle too soft too quickly... Once it's gone that way, it's very difficult to get things back to where they were and should be...

I was very liberal in use of plain old Dubbin on my first saddle... And it's lost some of its shape much quicker (check earlier in this thread for some pics)... I was fortunate in having stopped my over-zealous use early - so that saddle is super-comfortable, and still shaped as it should be where it needs to be... I've been far more careful with it, and the newer saddle since then.

I bought some Brooks Proofide through CRC, it's not particularly expensive - and I reckon it's worth getting some. You don't use much of it, so it will last, and it's completely different to dubbin and most other creams etc. you will find in shoes stores etc. The closest local product to it, I found in a Agrimark co-op, at the leather/saddles section... a tiny little see-through tub with a white lid, for about R40.00. The proofide was about R70 (excluding postage), so if you ever make up a order at CRC, you may as well order it too.

When you get the saddle, apply some to the top and bottom, and be a little bit more liberal in application to the bottom side, as it can do with protection against mud etc. that will be thrown up by the rear-wheel. You don't have to rub the bottom application in too much, leave a thickish layer on it, to serve as protection. The top layer might sink in quite quickly, and you might consider applying another, thin application the next day...

And that's it. Ride. Ride as much as you can. My saddles were comfortable from day one - but many have spoken about uncomfortable periods in the beginning, until the leather starts shaping... Keep an eye on the saddle, you will quickly realise when it might need another application - some only do it twice a year - but again, depending on your climate, you might need to do it a bit more regularly....

I guess it's a case of resisting the urge to make it looking shiny and new too often, particularly in the beginning - when you're bound to be fascinated by it. It needs less care than you might initially suspect - but then again, don't go the other extreme and neglect it. Check out the Brooks website for pics of saddles still in use 40/50 years later... :thumbup:

Hope this helps! Would be awesome if others would share what they did - this was simply the way I went about it...

I got some of the Proofide when I got the saddle. I applied a thin layer the day before my first ride. I left it for a couple of weeks until my next ride. I once again applied some. And I will do so for the next couple of rides. I use mine on my 29er, full suspension MTB - very forgiving. I would rather suffer from some "stiffness" and wait a while longer for the "break-in" than to use too much of the Proofide. But do not kid yourself - it is a hard ride for the time being.

Before

post-3611-0-76745300-1332852907.jpg

And this is how you REALLY don't want to look after yours...muddy SS race in Oak Valley.

post-3611-0-09482400-1332852973.jpg

I had the saddle on my all weather all condition no maintenance ride race commute have fun love it don't fuss about it steel SS....but had regrets after the day above and decided to mount my Selle for wet winter months instead...the Brooks is just too beautiful to ruin...

post-3611-0-66767200-1332853159.jpg