Brooks Saddle: Big, ugly, and oh-so-comfy!

RodTi

Warthog, thanks for the test ride today, much appreciated. :thumbup:

Holy smokes, this saddle is very, very comfortable indeed. Even without padded shorts. Wow.

You're welcome mate.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good day all.

I need some advise please on the brooks saddles.

I am looking between the B17 and the Flyer/Conquest (basically the B17 with springs), for my hardtail MTB.

I weight about 120kgs, since most of this will be on the saddle.

Which one would you indicate would work best? I have heard about springs squeking etc on the flyer.

Given my weight and what I am going to use it for, what would you suggest?

I am riding mostly farmroads, and every 2nd/3rd weekend a bit of wolwespruit.

Thanks

B17 . I also think the springs in the other models are just to give it the LOOK . You weight should also not really be an issue . My brother-in-law pulls the scales round about in the same direction and he did Tour de Afrique with his Brookes saddle , no complaints 

FHB, what dirt-rider said. Also, I do mostly district/farm roads with a little single track here and there, so basically the same type of riding you do. The B17 will be perfectly fine. I'm 105kg after breakfast/before lunch, and mine was super comfortable from day 1. Did a 110km round trip to Dullstroom this past weekend. The B17 made a world of difference. I suspect you'll really enjoy it.

I rode Brooks spring type on my Dutch bike commuting in London. It's a hardy saddle and I never had issues with squeaking. A squeaking saddle is not from the springs but from leather over the seat rails. A bit of 3 in 1 oil sorts it out. I also have a B17 and it's a do all saddle. Can't talk about weight.

Just finished Eroica South Africa 140km ride on my Brooks Select!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All.

Took the plunge and got the Brooks Flyer.

Comfy from day 1. Treated it with proofide, it is a nice tan colour now. Took about 10hrs riding to break in. Now I can ride all day, and my ass feels like it was sitting in a leather sofa.

Buying this saddle really made my riding so much more enjoyable, normally my ass would curl up and die before the legs gave in, now it is the other way around!

This is the best investment that I have made for myself cycling wise. And regarding weight: I dont care that it is 400grams heavier, seriously, what is 400gr when you are 125kg's plus.

Apparently you get some special stuff to put on the saddle from Brookes . I have been using Dubbin for many years now and it work for me .

Water isn't a major issue. FFS, Brooks saddle were made in the UK and would have gone out of business decades ago had a bit of moisture been a major issue!

Turn your bike upside down and rub a good amount of Poofide or Dubbin into the underside of the leather. Don't polish it off. This will seal the rough leather and prevent water spray getting into the leather underside. The underside leather is rough and not polished.

Your but will shine the leather on the topside into a very smooth surface.Lightly coat the saddle top with Poofide once a month if you ride often and every 6-8 weeks if you ride occasionally. Don't over "dubbin"as you will make the leather too soft and it will sag.

After a wet ride dry the saddle with a cloth and allow it to dry naturally out of direct sunlight. Your saddle will last you years. I have some saddles from the 50's which are still going strong.