Brooks Saddle: Big, ugly, and oh-so-comfy!

RodTi

Thanks!

Currently on a Specialized Romin Evo 168mm, If I remember correctly, my sit bones are 147mm apart, so B17 Standard sounds like the one to try.

Tom

Why do you say the standard sounds better if the B17 Narrow is merely 4mm wider than your sit bones? PS. Just asking from curiosity.

I have a B17 Narrow on my steel SS. Awesome saddle and it currently has around 1500km's on, so still new.

Saddle was comfy from day one, however it did take some tweaking to get the angle just right. Rode with an allan key and adjusted every 15 minutes until perfect. But as with a good red wine, the saddle gets better with age. From around 700km in the saddle started forming dimples, exactly where my butt bones are, now I prefer it to my couch!! Did a 30km spin the other day in normal gym shorts and not even a hint of discomfort. 

@DeanBean, damn that looks nice!! Love the copper rivets.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you say the standard sounds better if the B17 Narrow is merely 4mm wider than your sit bones? PS. Just asking from curiosity.

I have a B17 Narrow on my steel SS. Awesome saddle and it currently has around 1500km's on, so still new.

Saddle was comfy from day one, however it did take some tweaking to get the angle just right. Rode with an allan key and adjusted every 15 minutes until perfect. But as with a good red wine, the saddle gets better with age. From around 700km in the saddle started forming dimples, exactly where my butt bones are, now I prefer it to my couch!! Did a 30km spin the other day in normal gym shorts and not even a hint of discomfort. 

@DeanBean, damn that looks nice!! Love the copper rivets.

Based on my my measurements and saddle with recommendations based on them.

Tom

I can. After spending 1K on a Fizzik Gobi which broke after 3 months. Yes broke, seat pan snapped in half? What's that? Oh....I weigh 90 kg's.

I am looking for Fizik Gobi.  Where can I buy one in Cape Town (Northern suburbs)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. I've got one on my commuter for some time now and it is as uncomfortable as the day I bought it.

I will not be taking it off, so I hope that a miracle happens soon and it lives up to the hype that it is so well known for.

I recently build myself a steel gravel bike with a Lauf fork not to race but to tour with . Fitted a Brooks Cambium C17 saddle . Guided a 10 day tour in April on Western Cape gravel roads I ran out of rental bikes , rented my personal bike and as an emergency measure had to to use the steel bike with the Brooks . Did 80 kms on it before the tour . It was immediately super comfortable and never had a inclination of a shafe or saddle sore .

• 5 months later...

Please help me out on this. I had my sit bones measured and the saddle width the LBS recommends is 150, now i was looking at getting a Brooks saddle.  I see that the widths range from 151 to 175 , what effect will the 175 width saddle have compared to a 160 width saddle? Will there be any discomfort if i use a wider than measured saddle?

I have several Brooks'... best saddle ever.

Mine are all B17's - the standard (don't know the width...)

I tried a B17 Narrow, and it hurt. Same with a Cambium.

I think the 160 will definitely be more comfy for you than the 175, but don't go narrower than what you need.

• 2 years later...

My Brooks saddle stretch a lot due to the milk cream and stuff i used when breaking it in....i smeared my backside not the saddle!! How do i get the saddle back to its original form. I do not want to tighten the bottom screw to stretch the saddle more, it is half way now....please help me out on this one.