MTB Tyres: The Choises are:

Spinnekop

Best value?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Best value?

• Hud. Pythons@R540
    • Hud Scorpions@R400
    • Larsen TT@R300

I do not like my TTs. They do not work in mud, finish and klaar. I will be getting Nevagels as soon as these are done.

Does anybody here have any experience with Hutchinson Bulldogs?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

maar baie ' date=' baie ouens het die Kenda Karma's gery op die Epic.[/quote']

Met sukses?  Punctures? 

I do not agree with the comments regarding the Maxxis Larsen tyres. I have been riding with these for more than two years and did a recent Epic ride on them as well. Up to know I have had no punctures or other problems. They are relatively cheap as well, can buy two sets for the price of one set of Phythoms. The Maxxis Crossmark delaminates and forms bubbles.

I do not agree with the comments regarding the Maxxis Larsen tyres. I have been riding with these for more than two years and did a recent Epic ride on them as well. Up to know I have had no punctures or other problems. They are relatively cheap as well' date=' can buy two sets for the price of one set of Phythoms. The Maxxis Crossmark delaminates and forms bubbles. [/quote']

En dis nou nie asof jy hulle nie uit toets nie???!!!!!!  Wink

They can handle some drops also.  LOL

Funny I find the Crossmarks lousy in the sand.And worse in mud.

Better than the TT's but still dicey.

Not too sure on ball bearings either

I also have the CrossMarks, but I'm looking for more grip and that's why I'll be trying the Karma's.

CrossMarks is a solid tyre but they are starting to let me down come race day, during the last to races I got flats, so that's that, might just be bad luck but I'm not risking it again.

They weigh about 600grams each and the Karma's will be about 230grams lighter per pair, might help with the Up's.

Okay, let me restate my comment.

Larsen TTs pumped to 45psi are not suitable for mud for my 85kg body weight on my HT frame.

So in conclusion, TTs are not suitable for me.

Larsen Crossmarks, best compromise.

Have used TT's but the Crossmarks give better rollong, dry grip,  but are still sh!t in the mud.

That said I have done two Epics, Baviaans, Hell & Back as well as most of the PPA races and I am now only on my 2nd set. I put a nes set on just before this Epic.

Only ever had 1 puncture and that was on the last day I used the previous set.

They are heavy, but bullet proof.

TT's last long, are able to cope with varying conditions and roll fast (just ask Mannie Heymans).   Obviously Hutchinson's are good, but the softer compound wears quickly.  I guess it depends on your preferences and your budget. 

I have ofund the Larsen TT to a tyre found wanting on MTB trails. It's great for fire road blasting AND  for roadies who are crossing over to MTB cos its feels like a wide road tyre. But for MTB it's not particualrly good.

Braking traction is abyssmal

Rolling resistanceis ok at best

puncture resistance is poor

pinch flat resistance is good cos their saving grace is their side walls.

The Hutchinson Pyhton is a much better all round MTB tyre.

It brakes better

steers better

accelerates better

aand feels more tractable than the Larsen.

There is an unfortunate trend to judge a tyre based on the event riders are focusing on. IME, the Hutchinson Python is the best mTB tyre ever made.

And I try alternatives regularly. Currently I am on the Vredesten Killer Bee which is proving to be a surprise find. one look at it and you'll squirm at the lack of proper tread but the tyre conforms to the trail better than most and has a high degree of grip and rolls very well.

Under braking it is better than a Larsen too which just does nt have any decent gri when you pull the front brake lever.