Oils

casspir

Hi Hubbers,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Why do we differentiate between lubrication (especially for the chain) for application on road and mountain bikes? 

Is it really needed?  GoLefty your input will be appreciated!

Regards,

casspir

Oh, thought it was going to be a discussion on the various merits of Canola oil vs Olive oil (cold pressed vs virgin vs extra virgin) vs Sunflower oil vs etc...

Speaking of oils, how often should you wash your cassette and chain? do you keep it spotless, or just rinse it off after every race?

What about MTB? do you do a full cassette and chain clean after every race?

The question is not based on the wax/wet oil use. 

Why, for example, do we use White Lightning on road bikes and Squirt on MTB? 

Why cant we use the same Squirt (there are two variants) on both road and mountain bikes?

casspir 

My MTB derailer as a continuos squeek. Tried most lubes and things but it still rears its squeeky head.

MTB chains are exposed to more pressure due to lower chain wrap on the chai rings. Hence MTB oils should be more viscous to cope with the higher pressures

Guest Big H

I use both types of Squirt (MTb and Road) and both perform exeptional. Both perform far better than White Lightning as that product is designed for maerca and Europena use with colder ambient temperatures. many of my earlier kempekkernoglia failures (higher viscosity) can be attributed to the stiffness of White Lightning. There was a very large thread on www.bikeforums.net on this subject where consensus on the high viscosity of the wax residue of White Lightning was reached. As well as the effects it had on the working effectiveness of a chain .

So finally Big H comes clean with it, and admits that it was poor maintenance that broke his campag, and not simply that the campag is poor quality and breaks on it's own. Well done, admitting this is the first step on the road to your new campag gruppoClap

TNT12007-04-20 04:14:24

My MTB drivetrain gets cleaned after EVERY ride . Road bike once a year . Squirt on both of them seems to be working fine .

Guest Big H

Ne Big Bomb with no Bang I started using Shimano whilst still using White Lighting. The problem was gone, why, because Shimano is well made and can handle the rigours of tandem riding. Only much much later did I discover thet Squirt only makes the wonderfull experience of Shimano so much better. Squirt might even make kempekkernoglia acceptable and dependable.... aint that a horrrible thought to contemplate..... mmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!

I use both types of Squirt (MTb and Road) and both perform exeptional. Both perform far better than White Lightning as that product is designed for maerca and Europena use with colder ambient temperatures. many of my earlier kempekkernoglia failures (higher viscosity) can be attributed to the stiffness of White Lightning. There was a very large thread on www.bikeforums.net on this subject where consensus on the high viscosity of the wax residue of White Lightning was reached. As well as the effects it had on the working effectiveness of a chain .

Wax does not have a viscosity. It's "stiffness" is called consistency. Higher consistency will tend to trap dirt more.

I can;t believe that consistency of the lube can cause a drivetrain failure. Excessive build up trapped dirt can prevent the chain rollers from functioning and that can lead to premature wear but if the wax lube was applied correctly then the dirt should not have been able to get into the rollers and prevent functioning.

Guest Big H

Thanx for the technical info.... actually very basic and I should have known that. The experience reflected above was what happened to me. This all could have been purely been my perception during my learning curve as an apprentice and over eager tandem cyclist.