How long can you maintain Heart rate Max?

MCDreyer

After doing Franschhoek pass on Saturday and maintaining almost 190 beats/min all the way up I decided to record maximum heart rate in spinning class yesterday.

I'm 30 years old and maintained in spinning class yesterday a heart rate of 190-201 beats/min for exactly 16 minutes.

Below are the screenprints of the whole exercise as well as one for the +-16minutes only. I can also post the beats/min recording (every 2 seconds).

Not sure if this is good at all...

An opinion on this?

*Can't seem to paste the screenprint*

<?: prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /> <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

<?: prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /> <?: prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /> <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Vaste 62009-08-19 05:03:09

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as that dog can keep running who lives up on that plot near the cellphone tower in Walkerville .........

have you ever had your max tested?

coz if you're doing 16mins @ 201 then i can assure you your max isnt 201

Can hit my max for a second or two and then I fall off my bike. That's why its called max.

You're right fandacious... but how do you actually test your max. Is it the max that your heart rate can go? In my case then recorded as 206?

Then maintaining between 190 and 201 beats for 16 min is normal... I suppose.

Needless to say that for 16min my legs were on fire... And as soon as the burning fades, my heart rate started dropping a little and I just pushed it up again.

Got to agree with you on this. My max is 194bpm @ age 30

I'm not a fan of heating my max in training, only stretch out there on interval training sessions, otherwise don't go much over 95% MHR.

Furthermore sustaining MHR for minutes on end is very unlikley in my case, not sure if that is the norm for most.

Are you sure your HR monitor was not misreading, how did you feel, could you talk, could you sustain power? My Garmin misreads plenty, my max HR to date on it is 252bpm.

You're right fandacious... but how do you actually test your max. Is it the max that your heart rate can go? In my case then recorded as 206?

Then maintaining between 190 and 201 beats for 16 min is normal... I suppose.

Needless to say that for 16min my legs were on fire... And as soon as the burning fades' date=' my heart rate started dropping a little and I just pushed it up again.
[/quote']

i would guess your average is around 215-220. this would mean you can keep it @ 190bpm (88%) for as long as you like.

Most people's lactic threshold is around 87-88%.

once you go anaerobic tho, you wont be able to keep it there for 16 mins :)

also, max hr is just a number. it doenst indicate fitness or strength.

my max hr is only 178. it doesnt mean im fitter (or unfitter).

ps - im also 30
fandacious2009-08-19 05:18:03

Haven't read all the answers but in truth, when you reach your max HR you'll bring up, so you can't hold anytime at you max as far as I know.

Besides, when training it's not your max HR you want to know, it's your lactate Threshold HR...

Your age actually has nothing to do with max HR, everyone is different. I know some people who are at lactate threshold at 150bpm and others at 190bmp and they're the same age and perform pretty much the same as well.

Im With Fandacious.. I can stay above 95% for a long time but I only reach my max for short times..

My max is only 191 and sometimes I get when Im feeling good and doing Hill reps or racing furiously or mabe Intervalls

If you can stay up there for that long then go harder, find a new max