Do you cycle to work and back daily?

Konaman

I ride to and from work three days a week (thanks to short time!) and it's the best part of my day! Not only am I saving fuel, but I find that I can't help grinning like an idiot throughout the ride, which is awesome as all the motorists I pass all look miserable as hell! I find I'm still the most cheerful person at work and I'm convinced it's thanks to the "endorphin high"!

My route although is along 'M' roads, the verges are like single track at the moment thanks to major road-works as well as country side verges (wide and rarely looked after). Another positive thing is that I'm noticing a few more people out on their bikes as the temperatures warm up a bit.

Been caught in the rain a few times, so I've now got a "frame-bag" with towels and all the rest so doesn't worry me at all. I just wish more people would join in.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try twice a week depending on the route between 15 and 20 km one way.  Have shower facilities at work and a wall mounted bike stand in my office.  I enjoy riding up the hill at wonderboom and then waiting for the sun to rise before riding further..

Had my second cycle to work today, awesome stuff, takes me about an hour to get here, and about an hour and a half to get back home, depending on the traffic (16km there and back), a lot of hills though, there and back, but it's all good.. unfortunately no showers at work, so I gotta do the "Portugese shower" thing and soak myself in deodorant Fruitloop2009-08-24 02:19:45

Well I'm forced to commute as my motorbike she is broken and instead of fixing my bike I bought my MTB in March. Not complaining either.

I commute 6km to work and it takes me 30-45 minutes depending on my route. This morning I decided to do some climbing (Irene Av in Somerset West).

I also commute for my health - lost 8kg since March and my Asthma is under control. Still need to loose another 15kg though...

We have showers at work (its a house converted into offices) but where out of gas so cold showers this morning. Its cold, very cold.

On my commute home it takes me 15min - 1h15 (downhill) depending on how much time I have. I like to take a slow cruise and sometimes do 25km on my way home meandering through Somerset West.

Oh and when it rains no problem, my Camelbak has a built in rain cover.

I do in summer Approve

will start next week again Thumbs%20Up

when it look like rain just pack a rain jacket, 80% of the time you don't need it.

I do ahout 50-75km/day, depending on the route I take.

But as a rule, I take the short route in the morning, with a little detour back home in the evening.

I will! As soon as it's summer again!!

Is it that cold in the WC now??.. even if you wear a warm jersey or something?

Guest coenie

I try to commute as often as possible...almost 20 km to work and at the moment it is a bit chilly in the morning...anyone else from Blouberg area that rides direction Parow that wanna join in?

Yip....it's freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzing!! Was 4'C this morning!

Oh well then I understand, think I'd have to dress like an Eskimo to ride in those tempretures

Guest coenie

Yip....it's freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzing!! Was 4'C this morning!

I know what you felt like....I could not feel my fingers by the time I got to work....

No.

a)Because I live in Bedfordview and my office is in Sandton - the only access is via a 4 lane freeway - soon to be 5 lanes - Go figure.!!

There are other roads besides the N3.

Your point of living in Bedfordview and working in Sandton is relevant. I live in Benoni & work in Bryanston - thought about cycling, but then I rolled over, lay on my other side and the feeling went away. 50km one way via N12/N3/N1 so not too sure about the distance using the "other roads".

I commute mostly in winter, when there isn't enough light to go for a training ride and to get to work on time, so I combine the two (I still leave in the dark, but at least I don't have to get up at some crazy early hour!). The shortest route to work is 17.7km (Somerset West to Stellenbosch), but I often end up doing about 50kms to get to work.

We have showers, but no real place to put my bike.

On a good day I do the route quicker on my bike than in the car.

Try my best to ride Tuesdays - Thursdays all year. Stay only 3.5 kms from office, so take it nice and slow to work, the use some old shower-in-a-can.

After work join some other guys for a ride till the sun goes down.

Still trying to convince more people at work, but they seem to like being stuck in traffic...

When I lived in jhb I cycled to work and back daily.  Commuted from Northcliff to Woodmead 21km with my mtb and sometimes with my single speed mtb.  Took me 45minutes in the morning and about 60min in the afternoon as the traffic gets hectic in afternoon.

Left home at 5am and showered at work, then behind my desk at 6am with a steaming filter coffee.  Had flexi hours and left at 3 in the afternoon, and got home around 4.

Saved on average R800 per month if I cycle to work 4days a week.

Reached work in 30min with car.  From my experience a bicycle is faster than a car in an urban environment up to about 15km.  If you go further than that the car is faster.  But it also depends on the traffic on that day.

Cycling to work puts a massive smile on your face.  Can't do it anymore as I need my car to attend meetings etc.