Water Bottles

Normally I just fill my bottles up with water from the tap the night before, mix it with some Cytogen and put them in the fridge for the morning.

I got to thinking about this tonight when I was making a bottle for my little daughter and realized everytime I make a bottle of milk for her it is always with boiled water from the kettle which is sterilized and free from unwanted bacteria and substances.

I have now been wondering if it is benificial to then rather fill my water bottles up with water that has been pre boiled or is water straight from the tap just as good?

Not sure about Cytogen but I was told not to mix up drinks the night before because they don't contain any preservatives. I leave the water in the fridge and then add the powder the next morning.

Ahhhhh now the issue has gotten even more complicated - to mix the night before or not - to use kettle water or tap water - these are the questionsConfused

To put your bottles in the fridge or not. That is the question. Only problem after an hour of racing the contents of your bottles are more like hot water than anything else.

So why bother putting them in the fridge?

Well I know of some guys who put them in the deep freeze. The contents then melts over the race period but remains cold.

So where exactly do we stand now???Dead

Well I just use tap water and mix my bottles on the way out in the morning, if I am racing out of town then I use Valpre bottled water.

South Africa is one of about seven countries worldwide where you can drink water straight out of the tap. If however, you donot keep your bottles clean (wash directly after every use), a bash of boiling water and some disinfectant like MILTON may be necessary regularly to keep you from the doctor. It may be wise to sacrifice R20 every month and buy a new water bottle every now and then.

If you put your bottles in the fridge they become a wet mess on the bike and the cages abrade the bottle surfaces at a faster rate when there is water in the mix.

When it's warm outside and you would like a cold drink, the bottles heat up very quickly (especially if you ride fast because the hot air moving over the cold bottle is what heats it up).

When it's cold outside there is no need to chill your bottles.

So what now?

Ok so here is what I did this weekend. Pre Mixed one bottle and chilled in the fridge. Sterilized the other bottle poured cold previously boiled kettle water and only mixed on day of ride with no fridge chill.

Performed first test on Saturday and second test on Sunday.

Results: Difference experianced in taste- None.

Difference experienced in performance - None, still finished at the back of the pack.Unhappy

Conclusion - it probably does not matter how you mix your water if you have no talent as a cyclist.

When it's warm outside and you would like a cold drink

well, technically, your body absorbs liquids that are closer to its own temperature faster than it absorbs cold liquids. And if you're riding hard, you need those glycogens into your bloodstream as quickly as possible..

Put the water in the fridge the night before, add the powder the following morning and disinfect after every ride!

Or just ride with a Camelbak! :)

I posted an article probably about a year ago taken from a medical journal which showed that water bottles pose a serious cross contamination threat to cyclists.

Its not so much what its filled with, but all the road grime and airborne bacteria pack onto the bottles which are transferred directly into your mouth and ingested.

Another point is residual liquid not cleaned out can become a great bacteria breeding ground inside the bottle, and when filled again the bacteria are passed onto the bearer.

So, if not washed and sterilised every time in hot water and a disinfectant soap the bacteria can cause illness.

Lots of folk Pooh-poohed the article saying, they have never got sick from a water bottle (go figure Wacko, as if they are the only ones using them) but although in a healthy individual it may cause nothing or at worst, a mildly upset stomach , it can cause serious illness in a weakened immune system.

Its also been shown, freezing your bottles dos nothing to the absobtion of the liquid, the body absorbs liquid better at its own normal temp (roughly room temp) - all it dos by freezing or cooling the liquid, is cool your core temp down (which may or may not be desirable) and of course make a sticky mess of your bottle cage and frame as it defrosts. 

• 3 weeks later...

okay this bit i know..

Food and drink contamination happens with more than one change in temp. It is advisable to mix with cold tap water before you go.

mixing with ice water makes no sense cause by the time you drink its already warm. so just use tap water.

And BTW the drink is more effective at room temp.