Tubbies....

T-Bag

This weekend I hade a crash... again

I rode the crit at Tour Durban Sat afternoon and when a cornered my back tubbie came of... I crashed at about 45Km/h and cracked my BRAND NEW Zipp 404's CryCry

Have you ever heard of tubbies coming of or did the guy that put my tubbies on do a crap job?

I think it is his fault...Angry

yesss, hear they can come off if they don't put it on right, sorry to hear!! Hope you are ok!? I would k@k all over the guy, they not suppose to come off either way!

Once I'm able to walk properly again I'm gonna go to the bike shop and give the guy some leka warm klappe!Nuke

I heard a story that the tubby riders don't use the tubby glue but normal wood glue. I'm not sure, but Peter Hoeft (the conti importer) told someone else

The guy used wood glue but that is what everyone uses, but he didn't put enough on or something...

The guy used wood glue but that is what everyone uses' date=' but he didn't put enough on or something...

[/quote']

You're not supposed to use wood glue...never! You get tubby specific glue, and even contact works great.

You get tubby specific glue' date=' and even contact works great.
[/quote']

That's what I thought. Neither the tubby or the rim is wooden, unless, he is using ZippsConfused

I knew that rode his mavic helium tubulars without glue for years without hassles. So it might also depend on tubby quality and tyre pressure.

I knew that rode his mavic helium tubulars without glue

for years without hassles. So it might also depend on tubby quality and

tyre pressure.

You get tubby specific glue' date=' and even contact works great.
[/quote']

That's what I thought. Neither the tubby or the rim is wooden, unless, he is using ZippsConfused

Ya, sure, I just thought maybe Zipps are made of wood, thus the use of

http://www.jam.co.za/products/Stationery/henkel/ponal%20wood%20glue.jpgBig%20smile

Hey! Wat het jy teen Zipps? Daar is 'n definitiewe verskil tussen "Contact" gom, houtgom en "tubby"- spesifieke gom. Ek gebruik Continental se Tubby gom en dit is baie sterker as die ander gomme en dit mors nie so baie nie. Daarmee bedoel ek dit los nie so baie gom wat jy moet afkrap en skuur om die rim skoon te kry nie.

The guy used wood glue but that is what everyone uses' date=' but he didn't put enough on or something...

[/quote']

Wood glue = suicide, and whoever tells you otherwise is wrong (as you found out)

The amount of glue is important, but more important is the place it is applied (i.e all the contact points at the edges)

Use ONLY tubby glue and make sure that installation is as per spec - this takes time and patience. Most shops do NOT do a great job IME.

A properly glued tub should not roll under most circumstances.

I have a good article on how to - PM me if you want it.

Bikemax...you wrong

Tubby glue is not correct even though its advertised to do the job. PLIOBOND is the best glue to use.

Track guys never use anything else.

spoke to a track rider last night. and he di this.

He will apply tubby glue on the 2 tubbies and leave it to dry for 18 hours.

He will than apply glue again on the rim, put the tubby on, pump it 4 bar, try make sure the white of the tubby, (glue side) is inline with the rim, pump it to 6bar and leave another 18 hours.

Bikemax...you wrong

Tubby glue is not correct even though its advertised to do the job. PLIOBOND is the best glue to use.

Track guys never use anything else.

We will have to agree to disagree - I have spoken to many people over the years about this, and while there may be many glues that will hold a tub on under many conditions, they are not designed to do the job and can fail catastrophically under the wrong conditions (extended breaking heat for example - not seen on track)

My life is too important to risk using a product not designed for the job.