Eye opening reading....

PPWTF

I'm so over the whole doping thing that I very very rarely post stuff about it anymore. This, however, is simply to staggering not to share

http://www.playthegame.org/knowledge-bank/articles/anti-doping-the-fraud-behind-the-stage-891.html

Anti-doping the Fraud Behind the Stage

The head of research at the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI),

Sandro Donati, recounts his personal story about twenty years of

fighting against doping in Italian and international sport. An

unbelievable story which nevertheless is true.

the article covers most sports, but sadly it is a cycling related bit that made me laugh so much I wanted to cry....

The UCI started an investigation and it came out that he was being

"assisted" by Prof. Conconi and his team. In 1995, Pantani came very

close to death on account of a sudden decrease of the haematocrit value

from 60% (...!) to below 16%. Dead

So you're implying that they dont ride 19 days' date=' 3000km using only fresh spring water and super c's??[/quote']

sporting heros turning out to be dope fends is not a shock - what's so staggering is that so much of the content of the article is not common knowledge, in the way that say the East German state programme etc is.

Lets not forget that Ian Thorpe failed a test, results of which only came to light after he 'retired', that Carl Lewis was one of 30 plus USA athletes who should have been banned, except US Track and Field decided it wasn't the best idea to make these results public, or the Aussie shot putter who blew the whistle on the AIS, put it all in print, only to find his publisher backing out on him and all kinds of threats leveled against him - remember this guy was a sure fire home Olympic Gold medal winner.......

hence, despite all this, still an eye opening article, especially given that it's by a guy at the very heart of things on an International level, and crosses sports.

When was the last time a coach at this level of sport went public in this way? (most keep mouths shut and take the cash)

PPWTF2009-09-06 10:43:12

I suppose its a good thing.

But if only one coach opens his mouth, the others will just rubbish his claims.

Its a very difficult problem. How do you totally stamp out drugs in the sport?

If UCI really did go bust all the riders, then sponsors would pull their money and no-one (riders, uci, tdf, etc) would get a salary anymore.

so what to do?

Im shocked smiley3.gif

Am shocked that you're shocked!

But seriously, this just shows that doping is so pervasive that it will always be in sports.

Guest colonel

How do you totally stamp out drugs in the sport?

You cant, wont and never will stamp it out, so best people understand that and get their flipn heads out their asses and see the what is actually happening, accept it(Williehond plz read carefully) and realise that cancer doesn't help you pedalling efficiency or losing a nut makes you lighter or because you lived on the wrong side of the Berlin wall makes you a hard kid.

So your saying lance is not only using (to quote fandacious) "water and super c's", now I am shockedShocked

How do you totally stamp out drugs in the sport?

You cant' date=' wont and never will stamp it out, so best people understand that and get their flipn heads out their asses and see the what is actually happening, accept it(Williehond plz read carefully) and realise that cancer doesn't help you pedalling efficiency or losing a nut makes you lighter or because you lived on the wrong side of the Berlin wall makes you a hard kid.

[/quote']

Its all about greed and ego, nothing more nothing less.!

Cant wait to see Michael Moores new movie "Capitalism the new evil" I think it makes its preview this week.

A separate chapter should also be written about those sports
newspapers that also act as organisers of major sporting events. Like
Italy's daily "La Gazzetta dello Sport", which organises cycling's Giro
d'Italia, or the French sporting daily ''L'Equipe'', which organises
the Tour de France. How can they combine the need for correct
information with that of promoting the race they are organising? How
can they talk about doping without covering their creations with mud?

How true are these dope free claims?

And Usain Bolt's 4 training partners and a top lady Jamaican sprinter are all facing bans after being bust for doping recently. But athletics is such big money nowdays, watch how the machinery closes this down and glosses over something that in cycling would have sponsors, managers and other associated bodies running for cover.

i think Bolt is clean, and Lance is clean!!!

the media would just love to find something on them,, and if there was even a rumbling about either one, they would jump on it and eat them alive... !!! media stands to make too much money out of a story like that.... if there was a suspect sample, they wouldnt be able to cover it up... its the old story "if you want to keep a secret between 3 people, you have to kill 2 of them!!!!

"You cant, wont and never will stamp it out, so best people understand that and get their flipn heads out their asses and see the what is actually happening, accept it(Williehond plz read carefully) and realise that cancer doesn't help you pedalling efficiency or losing a nut makes you lighter or because you lived on the wrong side of the Berlin wall makes you a hard kid"

Or that you can go faster up a hill because you have a metal plate in your head and can suck more air because you have the teeth to eat an apple through a tennis racket.

Anyone who has read anything about doping (Try Willy Voet's book or Breaking the Code or Tour de Force etc, etc) will be familiar with the reputation and workings of dr Conconi.  He has been discredited and CONI's "sponsoring" of doping has been public knowledge for ages.  Unfortunately, like the article states, most people love the sensation, but then get bored after a week and loose interest until someone digs up some old article and presents it as news.  WHICH IS WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!  This is an article from the year 2000!!!! 

None of this should be news to informed doping experts such as yourselves...