Where is cycling technology headed?

EdoardoBianchi

Had an interesting debade this morning: With UCI regulations already limiting bike design and weights, where do you think the R&D focus will be in 5-10 years time?

I think:

- Most bikes offered for purchase will be close to the weight limits at prices relatively to today's market

- All groups will offer 14-odd cassettes with triples at no weight disadvantage (weight limit not compromised). The usage of compacts & triples will become the norm in the market

- Marketing will become the only differentiator in the market, with all frames manufactured in a handful of highly-capable factories

- Zipp404's will be considered "Classic"

IMHO

EdoardoBianchi2007-04-25 23:37:46

There have long been weight limits in other fields (eg Motor racing). The R&D guys have by no means stopped innovating. I think we'll find things like super frictionless bearings, more aerodynamic frames and components, and better groupsets still being developed for a long time to come..

If I recall recorrectly, the UCI wasn't too happy with the bikes of Boardman and Obree around 2000 and banned unconventional frame designs. But I like the idea of frictionless bearings...maybe some application of nano tech to increase the efficiency of the chain/sprocket/chainwheel interface?

Yeh - I would imagine they'd get a bit sticky if the frame is too unconvetional. I'm not too sure about the 14x3 gruppo's tho? Does anyone even use all 9x2 or 10x2 gears? Very seldom I would imagine. I definitely think there will be improvemente on cassette / derailer / chain. Most likely some form of improvement in frictionless chain links and some way to decrease friction between chain and cassete / chainrings. Of course, thats when bikes are REALLY going to start getting expensive ;)

Shimano has been field testing a 14 spd cassette since mid last year

Wow - interesting? What range? Is it dura-ace or Sora? Who would be the target market ?

So that means the smallest gear set you get is either a 11-24 or 12-25. Pantani will turn in his grave because he said "real climber don't use a 25 hear". So I guess 24 will be okay.

Wow - interesting? What range? Is it dura-ace or Sora? Who would be the target market ?

If memory serves it was from 105 up

Forget about casettes and tripples internal, automatic gearbox is the way forward, set your self up at a cadence of 90 and 220 wats, and the bike just gies you the required ratio, a lot like the cone system on the new audi's

Forget about casettes and tripples internal' date=' automatic gearbox is the way forward, set your self up at a cadence of 90 and 220 wats, and the bike just gies you the required ratio, a lot like the cone system on the new audi's[/quote']

Now *that* would be great!

Pantani will turn in his grave because he said "real climber don't use a 25 hear".

I've seen that quote and wouldn't want to appear not to be a real climber or upset Mr P. That's why I put a 27 on the back.

Pantani will turn in his grave because he said "real climber don't use a 25 hear".

I've seen that quote and wouldn't want to appear not to be a real climber or upset Mr P. That's why I put a 27 on the back.

Ha, I only have a 21 on the back, but a 31 on the frontBig%20smile

Are Shimano going ahead with eDura Ace. I last heard eDura Ace would be available mid 2008 - any truth in the rumour?