Quality of Muscle Science Products

wiMPers

I

What ever you do just stay away from USN & Biogen (which is USN with a red label and exclusively sold at Dis Chem & they also starting to sell at Cycle Lab)

Please give the background (in a non-libelous way) as to why other products are better than, say, USN - is in a quality, content, or cost issue?

I use the USN isotonic type stuff (Lemon and Lime flavour) but use EVOX Recover.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just plain old milk! Here is some studies.

... with a schoop of milo for some added vit's & minarals

costs about R50/month

You shouldn't get bad side effects from USN or Biogen or any other 'normal' supplement company.

USN first (to my knowledge) came under fire for their Muscle Fuel, what was supposed to be inside according to the label wasn't. The whey protein was missing (whey is expensive). From then on a number of their products have been tested and what's on the label and what's inside is different.

USN Muscle Fuel is also full of sucrose which is a sweetner and will make you gain fat which is what everybody wants to avoid.

From then on USN just became the brand to avoid.

But USN does do very good marketing and continue to sell their supplements.

Muscle Science became the brand to use since it was owned by body builders who used their own products.

Creatine- isn't a recovery supplement, it gives you strength.

L-Glutamine - is a recovery supplement.

For me the best recovery supplement is sleep SleepySleepySleepySleepy

Creatine- gives you strength.

In bursts of 3-4 seconds. So its absolutely useless to supplement creatine in a event like normal road cycling.

I am 1.85m tall and weigh 94KG.

What do I need to do to lose all the unwanted kilos without starving my body?  

Will supplements help?

what was supposed to be inside according to the label wasn't.

SleepySleepySleepySleepy

Thanks for the info Indigo Kid - fortunately I don't use 'Muscle Fuel'

I use only the CytoPower (Isotonic) with a spoon of L-Glutamine in (and that is only based on it being the 'first I tried' and I like the taste)

I would have thought that 'putting different ingredients on the label to those actually in the produce' was actually fraud, and would lead to prosecution.

Just goes to show that we put too much trust in large corporates (who's motive is only profit!)

I am 1.85m tall and weigh 94KG.

What do I need to do to lose all the unwanted kilos without starving my body?  

Will supplements help?

Use the SM-EL method

Sh*t more - Eat less

@Free

I agree with you. Creatine for cycling is probably a bad idea as you wouldn't want the muscle to pump up. But for weight lifting it works.

Creatine is also in meat, so if you are a meat eater you'll be getting a small amount of creatine into the body.

@Snoek,

The key to loose weight is eating enough and properly.

You need to eat at least 6 meals a day so that your metabolism is running at the speed of a rocket.

Supplements (shakes) are convenient but actual food is better.

The only time I'd recommend having a shake is after/during a ride as the body will absorb it a lot faster than food.

@levett

Muscle Fuel was the 1st article that I saw.

The problem is that there is no controlling body/organisation in SA. Carte Blanche had a program on awhile back about normal foods which had the same problem.

SleepySleepySleepySleepy

I use only the CytoPower (Isotonic) with a spoon of L-Glutamine in (and that is only based on it being the 'first I tried' and I like the taste)

I would have thought that 'putting different ingredients on the label to those actually in the produce' was actually fraud' date=' and would lead to prosecution.

Just goes to show that we put too much trust in large corporates (who's motive is only profit!)
[/quote']

SleepySleepySleepySleepy

I would have thought that 'putting different ingredients on the label to those actually in the produce' was actually fraud' date=' and would lead to prosecution.

[/quote']

Currently there is no legislation in SA - what you say on the label don't have to be in the product...

That is why, from now on, I will rather pay R xxx more for imported products, that have to adhere to some kind of legislation, and know that I get what I pay for!

I've been using Muscle works (the internet shop) products for the past couple of months, besides being cheaper and very convenient, one never really knows if any if any of this expensive stuff we put in our bodies really works.

Does anyone have an opinion or know how good the quality of their products are ?

Use the SM-EL method

Sh*t more - Eat less

Thanks for your input. I shall give it a go only if it works for you.

Firstly creatine actually does help with recovery after high intense short term exercise (4-10s) such as sprinting or powerlifting etc..As it replenish the phospocreatine stores of the body. It however does little during and after endurance exercise, although some studies have shown that creatine lead to slight positive increases in endurance. Creatine might actually be determental to cycling performance as it could dehydrate you as your muscles are absorbing more water and also make them heavier without increasing power, which is obviously extremely determental.

Secondly you say I consume 1 to 1.5g per kg protein in the hour after you finished exercising. This is way to much for cycling. You should consume 1 to 1.2g per kg of protein per day. Also you say you train 16h a week(which is only moderate) that you need supplements to recover. This is absoslute nonsense. Consuming a balanced diet that deliver sufficent energy should provide you with all you need from vitamins to mineral to carbs and proteins.

Thirdly, even though some supplement companies market their products superior to other companies's products, because they contain this new "scientifically proven" substance that enhances performance such as Carnitine, Glutamine, BCAA's etc. these supplements doesn't provide any benefit to other "cheaper" supplements. Because these "gimicks" are only based on wishful theory which in reality produces budcus.

I believe however it is ensential to consume a carbohydrate dring during and after exercise to prevent glyogen depletion, hypoglycemia and to ensure that your glygogen stores are topped up for the next day. You should consume a carbohydrate drink, with a high percentage of dissacchirides and polysacchirides, and that provides about 7% of carbs, after it has been mixed. And also a drink that provides a 4:1 carb:protein ratio for afterwards and longer rides if you feel its neccesary.

I've been using Staminade for the past 5 months and have had no problems with it, although someone was telling that I should mix Muscle Science Xplode with it for a bit more performance.. of course I keep my stash of USN Vooma on me when riding which also helpsFruitloop2009-09-08 05:07:01

There is a couple of nice suplements out. due to the fact that are boedies needs differ not every product is going to work for everyone.

I have een using the Energy dynamics? PVM products for years now and will advise it to anyone.

If you can get hold of Dr Michael Colgons books he explains nicely what to be on the lookout for when buying supplements.

There is a nice bunch of placebo stuff on the market unfortunately.

In the wise words of a friend of mine. .  packaging sells

There is a couple of nice suplements out. due to the fact that are boedies needs differ not every product is going to work for everyone.
I have een using the Energy dynamics? PVM products for years now and will advise it to anyone.
If you can get hold of Dr Michael Colgons books he explains nicely what to be on the lookout for when buying supplements.
There is a nice bunch of placebo stuff on the market unfortunately.
In the wise words of a friend of mine. .  packaging sells

PVM Energy dynamics is good but got way too expensive and quantity per unit was reduced........