what can we do to save cyclists?

Thinus

what can us as cyclists do to notify the government abouy what is happening on our roads,why must a talanted cyclist be killed before something is done?AngryAngryAngry Thinus2007-04-28 12:23:23

The question is actually. Will something be done now that a young talented cyclist is killed. There have been so many accidents and cyclist killed this year alone, it is shocking!! There was a whole awareness ride that some hubbers organised. It seems that we almost must have such a ride each weekend. The goverment just take notice and forget about it later.

A question I ask is: Why is it different in Europe? They have, if anything, worse traffic than here and far more cyclists.

We need cycling to be treated as a national sport. Also, cycle lanes must be introduced. Even in Europe, where space is at a premium, they make a plan and allocate space on the pavements or roads to cycling.

Warped, in Europe you something that we do not have here ... It is called "a nature of law obedience".  People grow up there with respect for the law.  Thus road users respect the road rules and there are rules that ensures cyclists rights on the road.  And in case someone does miss the plot, there is enough law enforcement there to pretty much immediatly sort a person out there.

In Sunny SA, we have roads,  traffic laws, a public that see how many traffic laws they can ignore per hour, and traffic officers that have only one thing in mind and that is how can I fill my pocket with bribe money today.  This is not conducive to safe roads at all.

What can we do? What can we do? Now here is a thought:

JOIN A SAFETY AWARENESS CAMAPAIGN LIKE THINK BIKE AND HELP RUN A PROJECT TO MAKE PEOPLE AWARE OF CYCLIST ISSUES.

donate <B>MONEY</B> to awareness campaigns like ShaunH's signup (www.sign-up.co.za) intiative or THINK BIKE (www.thinkbike.co.za) to help those who are giving their time make a diference.

Wear reflective clothing and flashing lights all all commutes and training rides.

keep an accurate database of all cycle accidents (where, when, who was involved, what happened, how)

Ride predictably in the road (and make way for the mad man)

Read up on cycle awareness, the law ext and confrontand correct your friends and family when ever you can.

THEN if you have enough time and energy left,

try convince fellow cyclists to join you in organising and participating in a RIDE OF SILENCE on May 19 at 10 a.m. in the southern hemisphere.   ( http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php)

or organise a critical mass network, so as to mobilise cycles to ride on chosen routes at chosen times (http://www.critical-mass.org/)

try convince cyclists to donate money to various cycle safety initiatives,

use your database to write articles for newspapers and cycle magazines.

AFTER YOU HAVE TRIED ALL THESE THINGS, THEN ASK WHAT MORE CAN BE DONE!!!!

Please I am sick of people asking "what can be done?" every time a cyclist is injured (which is now almost daily), and then sitting back and doing nothing. The answer to the question is "do something, anything". But if you are not willing to get involved, at least support those of us that are trying by helping us with donations.

Finally

LESS TALK MORE ACTION.

PLEASE.

Warped' date=' in Europe you something that we do not have here ... It is called "a nature of law obedience".  People grow up there with respect for the law.  Thus road users respect the road rules and there are rules that ensures cyclists rights on the road.  And in case someone does miss the plot, there is enough law enforcement there to pretty much immediatly sort a person out there.  

[/quote']

In Europe a lot more people use bicycles than in SA, a bicycle is used as a cheap and convenient means of transport and not only for sport, as a result most people here understand what it is like to be a cyclist and will treat other cyclists with respect.

Bateleur's law of obedience definitely does apply as well, lets face it Saffas have a growing tendency to bend / ignore the roadlaws as far as they can, and combined with a slapgat law enforcement mechanism this is a guaranteed route to disaster for cyclists in SA......

The only way to make a difference is if we all start doing things that will create awareness and make a difference. We cannot rely on the government as they have, what is perceived, is more important things to worry about such as housing, water, electricity. I DO NOT WANT TO START A DEBATE ON THIS ISSUE.

As KonaFan states,

1.Join ThinkBike so that we can create awareness amongst motorists.

2. Donate to initiatives like Sign-Up. To date Sign-Up has erected 41 signs along the Lido Training Route ans will erect 10 more by the end of next week.

3. Sign-Up has deployed a Hi-Vizibility Patrol Vehicle on the most dangerous section of the Lido Route which is known as the Steps on Old Vereeniging Road. Help with the running costs of this vehicle if your ride this section of road often.

4. Sign-Up will erect 76 signs along the Lion Park/ Cradle of Mankind route in the next month.

5. We, as cyclists have to stop worrying what we look like and start wearing Hi-Vizibility Clothing. ThinkBike & Sign-Up are developing Hi-Vizibilty training clothing and bibs. WEAR THEM, IT COULD AND WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE. It does not matter if you don't look cool. I will rather be an alive un-cool cyclists than a Cool dead one!!!

6. Buy a Cat-Eye TL-LD1000, the only light designed for Day Time Safety. It only costs around R350. Is that too much to pay to save your life??!!

6. Lastly, but most importantly, ADHERE AND RESPECT ALL THE RULES OF THE ROAD. STOP AT ROBOTS AND STOP SIGNS (WE ARE NOT RACING SO A FEW SECONDS IS NOT A MAJOR CONSTRAINT).

As the saying goes: 'ROAD SAFETY STARTS WITH ME'

Great Ideas but other road users dont give actuially gives a damn about people in lycra! These are the cold hard facts.....Until it actually hits home, only then will you realise that you are fighting a losing battle...Sorry guys, after hearing about my oldest friend taken out last week, I have now officially hung up my bike. It's just not worth it. Yes, I am negative. South Africa is negative. We are going nowhere.....FAST!!!

Think Bike, Erecting signs and boards and having vehicles drive up and down is a great initiative....well done....who gets to foot the bill....US...\why? Because it is something that we are so passionate about....reality tells me otherwise.....you are fighting a losing battle.

Well. For those accidents that happens due to poor visibility, this points listed by shaunh will help. It is a start at least in the right direction. Yes, you will always get the dude in the car with an anger managment problem that is out to go over cyclists.

Maybe fighting and losing a battle. Defenitly yes. But winning the war, definitly no. This thing about everyone being negative about the country is actaully bullsh*t. It's one hell of a perception. Our country improves daily enormously, but all we do is moan, moan and moan about everything small there is to moan. Who's moaning the most, the guys with houses that are worth millions and bmw's and mercs parked in the garage. Everyone is saying we will be the next Zimbabwe. Weird that our statistics is worse then those of Zim, according to crime and what more, but why is our countries state not worse then them. This country reached heights in the last 2 years that it wasn't able to do the last 20 years, actaully 40 years or more cause 20 years back it was only the gold price that made our country look good.

Witrot2007-04-30 15:46:32

Well. For those accidents that happens due to poor visibility' date=' this points listed by shaunh will help. It is a start at least in the right direction. Yes, you will always get the dude in the car with an anger managment problem that is out to go over cyclists.

Maybe fighting and losing a battle. Defenitly yes. But winning the war, definitly no. This thing about everyone being negative about the country is actaully bullsh*t. It's one hell of a perception. Our country improves daily enormously, but all we do is moan, moan and moan about everything small there is to moan. Who's moaning the most, the guys with houses that are worth millions and bmw's and mercs parked in the garage. Everyone is saying we will be the next Zimbabwe. Weird that our statistics is worse then those of Zim, according to crime and what more, but why is our countries state not worse then them. This country reached heights in the last 2 years that it wasn't able to do the last 20 years, actaully 40 years or more cause 20 years back it was only the gold price that made our country look good.

[/quote']

Witrot...you are quite right. Most Souf Efricans have no Idea what a typical f%$ked country is all about, yet they moan and moan. Yes we have problems, so do most other 1st world countries, but there is no way you can compare SA to other African countries.

Shaunh...you go boy, at least you are less talk more action.
Oiltrash2007-05-01 10:44:00

Well. For those accidents that happens due to poor visibility' date=' this points listed by shaunh will help. It is a start at least in the right direction. Yes, you will always get the dude in the car with an anger managment problem that is out to go over cyclists.

[/quote']

Witrot...you are quite right. Most Souf Efricans have no Idea what a typical f%$ked country is all about, yet they moan and moan. Yes we have problems, so do most other 1st world countries, but there is now way you can compare SA to other African countries.

Shaunh...you go boy, at least you are less talk more action.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. It is appreciated.Thumbs%20Up

I will rather try and fail' date=' than to talk and do nothing!!!!![/quote']

AMENClap

Owe you a donation for campag tomorrow

I will rather try and fail' date=' than to talk and do nothing!!!!![/quote']

AMENClap

Owe you a donation for campag tomorrow

Amen twoClapClap, sounds like some people need to go and cut their wrists. Shaunh, I will give my donation tomorrow also for campaq. We dont need to be so negative, still love the sport too much to give up so easily. If you cant take the heat stay out of the kitchen.