Which Hardtail in the 10 to 15k price range

dracaena

I'm in the market to upgrade and looking at spending between 10 to 15k for a hardtail.

I was very keen on the Silverback Sierra or at a stretch the Silverback Michigan, but some guys on the Hub seem to scoff at these.

IMO the Silverback bikes are very good value for money.

I'm 1.86m tall and weigh about 90kg. So I need something very rugged. LOL

I'm not a weight weenie, but am rather looking for something that requires little maintenance. I need something that will take 40 km of dusty jeep track one day and then on the weekend the ruts at Majick Forest or the single track at Tokai. I'd also like to complete Lourensford this year cycling my bike and not carrying it. Angry

My current semi-entry level bike seem to be in the shop for repairs every other week. Cry

Some people suggested buying a second hand MTB here on the Hub, but I am mechanically illiterate. I'd rather buy something new and if it misbehaves I can take it back to the LBS and tell them to make it stop.

For some reason I dislike Merida's almost as much as Nokia's and Celine Dion. So they are not an option.

Anyone willing to steer me in the right direction?

Go to City Cycles at Century City.I am the same weight and height as you and did recently bought a Mongoose Extra Light with upmarket acessories.

It is a Aluminuim frame Double stitch.That is real value for money.It was just under R14000.00.There aftersales service is excellent.I also bought my roadbike there.Upmarket shimano components with stroker hydraulic brakes etc....... 

You can through Planet-X (Kiwi) build up an On-One Scandal 29er for around R15k.

Probably better value than most and given your height, would suit you perfectly.

This bike is lighter than most road bikes.I did the majick forest,Cutrusdal,etc,and no hazzles.very light and strong ally wheelset.Had taken a lot of knocks and no buckles.Try it.

thanks Shimano 105. Is that the Mongoose model: Extra Light? I currently have a Tyax Super, so am fond of Mongoose, but always thought City Cycles overpriced. Have never done a specific compare though.

And thank you "The Thug". I must admit a 29'er is quite an interesting prospect. I'll see what Kiwi can conjure up.

Also look at Merida's, very good value for money.

Sorry, missed the last line about Merida's and Nokia's.

Closing the door on some awesome bikes, backed by awesome support from the distributor.

Daxiet2009-09-16 03:49:39

The day I bought my bike (a duel sus), I saw a Schwinn Moab CS2, carbon frame hardtail going for R14995.00 and was very tempted to go for that... the same as the one in the picture, but comes with the Rock Shox Reba front shock

20090916_015123_20090603_062253.jpg
Fruitloop2009-09-16 01:51:47

The day I bought my bike (a duel sus)' date=' I saw a Schwinn Moab CS2, carbon frame hardtail going for R14995.00 and was very tempted to go for that... the same as the one in the picture, but comes with the Rock Shox Reba front shock

[/quote']

Sure the shock wasn't the only difference at that price. Doubt it would have had the XTR kit on it.

These Schwinns seem to appear in differing config. Most I have seen have the Reba shock, Octolink Crank (old), Juicy 3 brakes, etc.

The day I bought my bike (a duel sus)' date=' I saw a Schwinn Moab CS2, carbon frame hardtail going for R14995.00 and was very tempted to go for that... the same as the one in the picture, but comes with the Rock Shox Reba front shock

[/quote']

Sure the shock wasn't the only difference at that price. Doubt it would have had the XTR kit on it.

These Schwinns seem to appear in differing config. Most I have seen have the Reba shock, Octolink Crank (old), Juicy 3 brakes, etc.

Ok my bad, but I just phoned the LBS and they say it comes with the following:

X9 Rear D

X7 Front D

Tuvativ Optolink BB system

Poploc remote

Juicy 5 hydrolic brakes

SRAM X7 gear levers

Ritchey stem, bars seat post, and pedals

[/quote']

Ok my bad, but I just phoned the LBS and they say it comes with the following:

X9 Rear D

X7 Front D

Tuvativ Optolink BB system

Poploc remote

Juicy 5 hydrolic brakes

SRAM X7 gear levers

Ritchey stem, bars seat post, and pedals

Granted at that price, a decent buy.

I'm rolling a Specialized Stumpjumper which is around 14 - 16k depending on who you know at your LBS.

Awesome bike.

any "big" guys out there that have a Schwinn Moab CS2? Never had a carbon frame before.

Dude I donno if I'm big or small (that came out wrong.. and so did that Embarrassed), but I went from a GT Avalanche 3.0 which was a triple butted alu frame, now riding a Raleigh Marathon 6.0, duel sus, but it's double butted super lite alu.. OMW!! what a difference in weight, and for a duel sus it is lighter than my previous bike and had quite a few wipe outs on it before getting used to more speed.. so if you go for the Schwinn you will find a difference in speed when you ride, just take it easy on the first few rides