Tandem Cranks

Grantc

At the Tour Durban with about 30km to go the left hand pedal of the pilot stripped from the crank (Sugino Crank set). This has happened on the left hand crank of the stoker in the past.

It's now time to replace/upgrade.

What are the best options out there and where does one source the kit from.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry to hear, hope you get sorted soon...BigH, you there?

I've managed to strip the thread out of tandem crankset once - one day before leaving for a tour of Italy...Some frantic sourcing still saw me getting it wrong (I think the thread is reversed for the stoker-side pedals) And only discovering this on the first day of the tour. Ended up reversing the cleats for the duration of the trip. Fun. Or as they say in Italian: "Merde"

GrantC

Happened to me as well. The agents replaced the arm. It appears that the arm has a weak spot at the pedal hole.

I think the agents are Coolheat

Upgrade to FSA Tandem Crank set. The best Tandem cranksets on the market. Cape cycle systems uses them the Cannondale tandems. They started using Truvativ but went back to FSA. Cervelo is the agents for FSA now, but any bike shop should be able to get hold of a set for you. They come in Alloy and Carbon versions. Never heard of an FSA Tandem crank set stripping on the stoker left side. Only my 2c worth. Hope it helps.

Joss

On the FSA tandem cranks the nut holding the two sides together works itself loose. Sometime the arms come loose.