Breaking spokes all the time??

jmt.row

Hey guys,

So my girl friends dad is like 110kg(Read 120kg but he wont admit it), and he rides a RC1000.

He has now replaced at least 6 spokes on his back rim.

He is about to buy a new bike (The sales man has done a good job, carbon scott cr1).

Are there any wheels that he can get that are better for a heavy, befor he buys a new bike that has the same problem. Or will the better bike fix the problem.

Thanks

jmt

One of our club ridrers had a similiar problem, he had a wheel with DRC rims built and has had no problem since.

Get a proper wheelbuilder to look at the wheels. Spokes should not break like this if the wheel was properly built. A Scott with a CARBON FRAME is NOT going to solve the problem. He will most likely get better whheels on that Scott and a blingy bike, but THAT is NOT the problem!!!!!!!

Unless the wheels have a 70kg weight limit,this seems strange.I agree,get a PROPER wheek builder to inspect them

He could go for something with more spokes (e.g. 32 on DRC or Mavic rims). Otherwise, make sure that the spokes on the current wheel are properly tensioned and stress relieved - I believe that doing this incorrectly can lead to spoke breakages.

Get your friend to contact Johan Bornman http://www.yellowsaddle.co.za. He can make sure the existing wheels are properly built etc. or else built a very good set of new wheels. He also offers a lifetime guarantee against spoke breakages.

He could go for something with more spokes (e.g. 32 on DRC or Mavic rims). Otherwise' date=' make sure that the spokes on the current wheel are properly tensioned and stress relieved - I believe that doing this incorrectly can lead to spoke breakages.
Get your friend to contact Johan Bornman http://www.yellowsaddle.co.za. He can make sure the existing wheels are properly built etc. or else built a very good set of new wheels. He also offers a lifetime guarantee against spoke breakages.
[/quote']

The RC1000 has a 32 hole rim with a 32 hole hub (obviously ..... duh!!!!) .....  both no-name brands but it does not mean bad quality. DRC rims are a good option if nothing else. We have 32 hole DRC rims for the slicks on our MTB Tandem and they work. But they wer well built by an expert......ME!!!!!!!! LOLBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileLOLLOL

I personally would not ride carbon if I was anywhere close to 110kg. For wheels I would go the factory build mavic's. Just go on the mavic site and look at their various wheels .

I personally would not ride carbon if I was anywhere close to 110kg. For wheels I would go the factory build mavic's. Just go on the mavic site and look at their various wheels .

Why?????? .... explain your statement about Carbon Fibre and why are the Mavic wheels "better"??????

Thanks for all the info guys will get him to get the rim looked at properly. The same guy has been fixing it over and over.

Is ther any reason why he should not get a carbon bike, other than "big H's" view?? I see big guys on carbon often(although lossing weight would be the best performance enhancer, not a new bike)!!

Thanks for all the info guys will get him to get the rim looked at properly. The same guy has been fixing it over and over.

Is ther any reason why he should not get a carbon bike' date=' other than "big H's" view?? I see big guys on carbon often(although lossing weight would be the best performance enhancer, not a new bike)!![/quote']

Correction..... not Big H but JPW's view, I asked he should explain why Bigger people should not use CF framed bikes??????

Just like fat people should not expect to squeeze into haut couture, so big okes should not ride boutique wheels.

They need 36-spoke wheels (or 40-spoke if they are humungous), with heavy rims (500 grams or so) and a good build and stress relieve.

Nothing else will work over the long run. It is easy to find a lightweight wheel that is strong enough to handle the person's weight, but they won't be durable.

Strong and durable are not the same and are often confused in bicycle terms.

I HAVE ALSO BEEN TOLD TO STAY OFF CARBON DUE TO MY WEIGHT (98KG'S). 

I WAS ALSO TOLD BY THE MAVIC REP THAT THEY DIDN'T HAVE A MTB WHEELSET THAT COULD CARRY MY WEIGHT!

MY LBS FITTED A LITTLE BRASS BUSH BETWEEN MY SPOKES AND THE HUB SO AS TO APPARENTLY PROVIDE A BUFFER AT A CRITICAL STRESS POINT.

WAY TOO HIGHER GRADE FOR ME BUT IT WORKED BRILLIANTLY, HAVENT BROKEN A SPOKE IN AGES!Star

I WAS ALSO TOLD BY THE MAVIC REP THAT THEY DIDN'T HAVE A MTB WHEELSET THAT COULD CARRY MY WEIGHT!

MY LBS FITTED A LITTLE BRASS BUSH BETWEEN MY SPOKES AND THE HUB SO AS TO APPARENTLY PROVIDE A BUFFER AT A CRITICAL STRESS POINT.

WAY TOO HIGHER GRADE FOR ME BUT IT WORKED BRILLIANTLY' date=' HAVENT BROKEN A SPOKE IN AGES!Star
[/quote']

Ja ja.

I sprinkle salt at my front gate. That keeps the lions away. I know it works, we have not had a single lion pass that gate since we moved in here two years ago.

WAY TOO HIGHER GRADE FOR ME BUT IT WORKED BRILLIANTLY' date=' HAVENT BROKEN A SPOKE IN AGES!Star
[/quote']

Ja ja.

I sprinkle salt at my front gate. That keeps the lions away. I know it works, we have not had a single lion pass that gate since we moved in here two years ago.

DEEPOuch