NCR:Motor car insurance beware

hagar

I have an Insurance on my motor car fully comprehensive with an additional amount that i pay with regards to the waiver of any access that may arise if I have a claim.

Two weeks ago i went over a speed bump and there was a rock that damaged my sump of the car and the oil leaked out causing damage to the engine.

So i claimed for the damage only to find a Clause which does not appear on my policy document called " Betterment " which means that due to the age and lifespan of my car i should pay an amount in AngryAngry 

I have Angrynow been told that this will be waivered to which i am grateful but what really gets me is that this clause should appear somewhere on the document.

So if you have insurance make sure that you have this in writing as it could lead to quite a substantial amount of money if you have an accident .

My Dad always said that a person should rather become a bottlestore owner and destroy peoples lives with alcohol than becoming an insurance salesman that legally steal money from people

Betterment (as I understand it) is a standard clause that stops you benefitting from a claim. Like if you have an accident and damage 40 000 km old tyres, they won't replace with new ones without some sort of contribution from you.

A sump, however, is not a 'wear and tear' item, so betterment shouldn't be a factor. I think they were trying to pull a fast one.

I agree with Droo. Betterment is usually only charged in regards to wear and tear on tyres. The compnay will repalce your olds with new ones but you will pay the difference in respect to the tread used. eg. If your tyres are 50% used, you will need to pay in 50% of the value for the new ones fitted.

Care to name the company?

Betterment (as I understand it) is a standard clause that stops you benefitting from a claim. Like if you have an accident and damage 40 000 km old tyres, they won't replace with new ones without some sort of contribution from you.

A sump, however, is not a 'wear and tear' item, so betterment shouldn't be a factor. I think they were trying to pull a fast one.

Spot on!! Who are these "insurers"? Although I have a fair idea anyway!!

Yah, I had a similar situation a few weeks back, even got advice from a hub member on the repair. I also bashed a hole in my sump and it drained dry, however I didnt drive the car so there was no engine damage. I contacted my broker and in 10 minutes M&F had authorised the claim.

No questions asked.

Anyway, I ended up not claiming as the repair was less than initially quoted, and after paying the excess it wasnt worth claiming for a few grand, so I just paid myself, but, yah, I also think your insurance was doing its best to not pay.