John Lee in Spain

rock

Geluk John Lee- trots op jou-

Jammer hy kan nie SA's in Bloem ry nie----- WIE gaan hier wees????

Al is dit net om ons eie ryers in aksie te sien. Die jong ryers het dit nodig om te sien hoe 'n "pro wedren" lyk. 

JL and Perry both entered for SA's.

That should be an interesting showdown, to be the best - you have to BEAT the best.

Will JL be riding in the Elite category then, since Barloworld is a registered Pro Team, Latrinus?

Either way, will make for good racing.

All credit to JL for some excellant results but I am sure if you were to speak to Hunter, Perry or Cox they would probably tell you that at this stage in the season they are happy to work for John Lee as they do not want to be peaking yet, especially with a possible wild card in the TdeF coming up.

Noticable that 2 of the Barloworld team (Cardenas and Sabibo) pulled out quite early in the event probably for the same reason.

Nevertheless JL would have got himself a handfull of UCI points which are great currency when looking for a new team!

JL at SA's, I'll go and watch. Will be awesome, in elite of course. Against MSoft!

But why is our u23 riders so bad in Europe, the team that went over.

The next 2 Africans to get a place in the pro tour will be JL and Chris Froome.

I also thought he would be racing elite, but now I find myself wondering, because last year Gerald Ciolek, who was riding for Wiesenhof-Akud (a Pro Continental team, same as Barloworld) at the time, raced the U23 world championships. So does this mean that John-Lee can ride U23 at worlds/SA's, like Ciolek did? I'm confused.

What Phen says makes sense. I think when riding for a Pro Continental, like Barloworld, on National level you compete in the Elite category.

But World's you race according to age?

Phen i think its only when u ride for a pro tour team that u cant ride in the u23 category! im also not sure!

Only u23 riders from a Protour team cannot ride u23 anymore( see extracts from UCi rules below)

2.15.003 The UCI ProTour licence is the right conferred by the UCI to take part in the UCI ProTour, either with

a team of professional riders, known as a "UCI ProTeam", or as organiser of a given event. From Breeze:( Pro Continental is classified as "Pro Continental" not UCI ProTeam.)

9.2.013 Under 23 riders who belong to a UCI ProTeam cannot ride the individual road race for Under

23 riders. An under 23 rider who is attached to a UCI ProTeam for the period

from 1 August to 31 December under the provisions of article 2.15.110 may

ride the Under 23 individual road race.

I wish he could have ridden Elite, taken the jersey and go show it off in Europe. With the u23 jersey he may never ride in it as Barloworld does not ride U23 races...

Its clear that the only reason J-L is ride that good is because he went to Europe very early in the year, thus adapting to European standards, where the o/23 team had to race all season in SA and then suddenly race in Europe and is expected to win on a much higher level, think the CSA should mabey learn from Australia and send some SA riders to Europe for a longer period???

Please dont think like a bunch of idiots! You all everyday on cycling sites, but still know nothing about racing?

Couldn't agree more with you, Sporza. The Cup of nations was the ideal stepping stone to get our lads into good, quality races. But just dumping them there a couple of days before the racing, one can't expect them to just adapt & get results. The racing intesity and distances are far different from what they experience in SA.

Obviously the riders have sponsor obligations aswell, but it should be exposure enough for sponsors having their riders in the national team - and them then getting results.

This can only be achieved by a longer stint in Europe in my opinion.