Bye Bye basso

E1A104

I see on Cyclingnews that basso has admitted to being involved in doping ... but will not implicate any others as he claims not to know who else is involved!! Right, I believe that one.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The brown stuff is going to hit the fan! Can you imagine the amount of sponsors that are going to pull out of cycling when the rest of the 50 odd riders are pointed out or have come clean???? This is worse than all other doping scandals put together!

As a matter of interest, what happened to the authors of LA Confidential? Why are they not involved in this?

Basso: "It was only attempted doping"

By Gregor Brown

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/news/may07/may08news3/DV177851alt.jpg

"It was only attempted doping," said 29 year-old Ivan Basso to a conference room full of journalists and photographers in Milan's Hotel Michelangelo. The rider from Varese was barred from the Tour de France and had his 2006 Giro d'Italia victory, where he won by more than nine minutes over Jos? Gutierrez, called into question as a result of documents linking him to Doctor Eufemiano Fuentes.

Yesterday, after months of denial, the former Discovery Channel rider agreed to cooperate with Italian Olympic Committee's (CONI) anti-doping prosecutors and admitted that the bags of blood labeled 'Birillo' which were seized in the raid on Fuentes' clinic belonged to him, but denied he ever used them.

"In my career I have never used doping products or resorted to blood transfusions," continued Basso according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. Basso, dressed in a light blue dress shirt and jeans, denied using any doping products although refused to deny his involvement with Fuentes and the subsequent Operaci?n Puerto.

"I will serve my suspension and then return to race. I know that returning will make me feel better; I think that the group will accept me," said Basso. While admitting that his actions deserved punishment, Basso claimed that all of his victories were achieved without doping. "I am fully aware that an attempt at doping is tantamount to doping, but I am asking to be excused for this and that should be enough," he stated.

While Basso's dominant performance in the 2006 Giro d'Italia led third-place finisher Gilberto Simoni to describe him as an 'extra-terrestrial', Basso insisted that he won the race without resorting to using any illegal methods. "All my victories were obtained in an honest manner and nobody can contest what I achieved in the 2006 Giro d'Italia no more than the other results I achieved during my career."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/news/may07/may08news3/DV177865tn.jpg

Basso refused to be drawn into listing other names but instead wanted to speak for himself. "I can't vouch for the honour of my colleagues, who wins honestly, like I have always done.

"There is talk about how I am a repenter, or a collaborator. I want to clarify that I was not asked about the other people involved, further, I don't know of riders or other people involved."

He reflected on his decision to involve himself with Fuentes. "It was a weak moment, but I am aware that attempting to dope is the same as doping. I will serve my sentence and return to the work I love."

He finished by commenting on his family. "I will assume my responsibilities, confronting my family, who has stood beside me in my decision."

What a t**ser!! But the biggest one to date is the dopeduplion of  Flanders (johann musseuw) who admits to doping. But he only "took" it at the end of his career and he refuses to elaborate further. Creating a bit of hype before his "book" no doubt!!! There is probably more smack in the pro cycling peleton than in Rosebank after sunset!! Delgado2007-05-08 08:44:53

The brown stuff is going to hit the fan! Can you imagine the amount of sponsors that are going to pull out of cycling when the rest of the 50 odd riders are pointed out or have come clean???? This is worse than all other doping scandals put together!

As a matter of interest' date=' what happened to the authors of LA Confidential? Why are they not involved in this?
[/quote']

bebecause people started getting tired of THEIR bull...

So lets get this straight, you win the Giro by nine minutes and only then you realise that you may need to dope for a chance in the Tour De France. Ja right.

Well, at least he is trying a different approach. Not the "I'm innocent" or the "wrong results" or the "Im getting nailed by the French" lines.

He doped, and is performing damage control. Biggest fish to confess so far. Perhaps Lance will confess in his next book?

Basso fistly denied everything which was stupid because they were going to get around to the DNA testing eventually.

Then when he realises that the DNA test will show positive he suddenly has a feeling to get it off his chest and admit to being involved - but yet still tries to act like he actually did nothing wrong.

He did the crime and was caught - he should have the guts to admit what he did.

Who wants guys like this in the sport ? By acting like he knows no-one else involved does he have the best interests of the sport at heart ?

And a good point by Velo - if he was only beaten by Lance in the Tour and now Lance isn't around then why the need to try doping ?

They've established he's a cheat. Now he's showing he's a cheat and a liar.

Well' date=' at least he is trying a different approach. Not the "I'm innocent" or the "wrong results" or the "Im getting nailed by the French" lines.

He doped, and is performing damage control. Biggest fish to confess so far. Perhaps Lance will confess in his next book?
[/quote']

Not really, hes saying that he only attempted to dope, and that at no stage has any of his results been the product of doping. If you win the Giro by nine minutes without doping, why would you even contemplate doping up for the TDF. It just doesn't make sense.

They've established he's a cheat. Now he's showing he's a cheat and a liar.

what's the difference ?

Ok so after his 2 year ban he is 31 - good for another 4 years?

I still rate him as the No 1 contender for the big tours.

Now we wait for the others to come clean and start all over again?

Reckon it's the only way to go.

He will not be allowed to race for a Protour team for 4 years

That would make him 33, and not racing for 4 years will not be good for his racing form...

Now we wait for the others to come clean and start all over again?

Reckon it's the only way to go.

Why??? Who's going be left to race Pro tour ???

Only necessary when they get caught...otherwise it's "business" as usual. 

ja, what a dick, only now he 'fesses up to what they can prove - DNA says its his blood so he admits its his, but they have no proof (yet) of him transfusing or taking banned substances, so he doesn't admit to that...

what a loser....must really think we're all idiots.

No come on Rock!!!

He only considered depositing Blood when he heard Jan deposited blood.

Not that either of them really wanted to dope, but you know, just in case the other one actually doped, then they could both be on equal foot!!!!
Cruxpearl2007-05-08 10:31:00