Bleeding Hope Disc Brakes?

Zaskar

Does anyone know a shop that can do a decent job of servicing a Hope M4 brake system? I have had it done by a supposedly good shop before, and they did a really poor job of bleeding and servicing it. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Is there any one in SA bringing Hope components in to the country, and if so are there any official service agents?

Also I had some Goodridge braided hydraulic hoses fitted to one of my bikes while I lived in the <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />UK, and the difference was amazing. Does anyone in know if they are available here in SA?

Goodridge hoses are available in SA, Colours are limmited to black and silver.

PM me with your details, we can talk

082 OERTELsmileys/smiley36.gifsmileys/smiley36.gif

Yip DR have also taken to bleeding my Magura Julies myself. Downloaded the necessary instructions from the net, invested in the bleed kit and now do it at my leisure with no more aggro at how long it takes/costs etc. at the bikeshop. Once you have done it a few times it becomes fairly simple but I must admit it is best to take your time and do it right! Don't rush it! 

Hey, my talents lie as far as changing a tube and wheel.smileys/smiley5.gif. But i see there are MTB maintenance books thats explain step by step how to do it though.

Scotty it is actually very simple . If you understand the principals of hydraulics it is easy-peasy . <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

1. Liquid will flow downhill (That is why your reservoir will always be the highest point on the system .

2. No air is key .

Now find the lowest point in the system , open reservoir and if you got lotsa time like me , open lowest point and wait for all air to come out while you keep the reservoirs filled . There are a few variations on this technique depending on the system .smileys/smiley36.gif

Agree with Fatty there, get hold of Lea, he worked in the UK and bled Hopes all the time. And he kicks ass at most bike things, at least you can phone him and he can run you through what you need to do?

• 2 years later...

Best bet i would say is to try Fritz Piennar.

Yes, FPC (Fritz Pienaar Cycles) have the most experience and know the most so i reccomend then

I live in Angola and have to do all my work on the bike myself. There is a Hope Brake Bleeding kit available. I use that, it works with pressure from a tyre and forces the brake fluid from a containner through the master cylinder reservoir. Work very simple indeed as well as any other work on the disks. Important though is that Hope prefers DOT 5.1 hydraulic brake fluid. You may use DOT 4 but the whole system must first be flushed. I have the manual for the Mono6, Mono M4 and Mono Mini here with me. If you need info I can scan and email. PM me your email address. (info available at wesite)

The last contact info I have regarding spares for Hope Disks and other products is:-

Alan at International Trade tel no +27114526587. They are situated in Midrand.

Their International website is www.hopetech.com

If you really cannot find any spare or pther parts www.chainreactioncycles.com carries all the stock you need.

ONE DAY ALL DISK BRAKES WILL LOOK LIKE .....AND WORK AS WELL AS HOPE DISKS!!!!!!!!!!

From the Hope Website at this link......

Bleeding the Mono disc brakes

Item number references refer to the diagram of the Mini lever in section 5.1.

Wear safety glasses.

1. Remove the wheel and brake pads to prevent contamination.

2. Push the caliper pistons back into their bores and insert a spacer between the pistons to prevent them coming out during the bleed operation.

3. If necessary reposition the brake lever so that the lever and master cylinder is horizontal to the ground.

4. Remove the master cylinder cap (item 4) using a 2mm allen key. Then remove the rubber diaphragm.

5. Place the closed end of an 8mm spanner over the bleed nipple on the brake caliper. Fit a length of clear plastic hose (approximately 30cm) onto the bleed nipple and place the free end into an empty container. The hose should be a snug fit and not fall off, the free end does not need to be submerged under brake fluid.

6. Fill the master cylinder reservoir with brake fluid.

7. Open the bleed nipple a 1/4 turn. Slowly pull the brake lever to the handle bars and hold. Close the bleed nipple. Release the lever.

8. Repeat step 8 until no air is seen coming out of the bleed nipple. You will need to keep refilling the reservoir during this operation.

Caution, if bleeding a rear brake be careful not to spill brake fluid onto the front brake caliper and disc.

9. Ensure the pistons are fully retracted in the caliper, the pistons may require  manually pressing back.

10. Place a rag around the master cylinder to catch any spillage and fill the master cylinder to just below the top surface.

11. Place the diaphragm onto the master cylinder by rolling it across the top of the master cylinder and allow the fluid to overflow. Close the bleed nipple and remove the bleed hose.

Caution, do not over tighten the bleed nipple. Wipe away any spilt fluid from the caliper and lever.

12. Fit the master cylinder cap and gently tighten with a 2mm allen key.

Caution, do not over tighten cap as you are only sealing the rubber diaphragm.

13. Replace the pads and insert the wheel. Pull the lever several times to allow the pads to reset themselves to the disc.

14. Check the brake for correct function and that there are no any system leaks.

Big H2009-02-08 06:49:27

From the Hope Website

International Trade
16 13th STREET
PARKHURST
2193 JOHANNESBURG
tel +27(0) 832687449
Web site: www.intltradesa.com
Email: info@intltradesa.com

Hope Bleed Kit and Oil From 
?22.99

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/912.jpg

Specially designed Bleeding kit that uses pressurized air from your bicycle tube forced through a container to replace the oil in your brake system. Works with all models of Hope brakes and includes 250ml bottle of DOT5.1 Brake fluid.

Features:

? Includes 250ml bottle of DOT5.1 brake fluid

**NOTE: Kit now only suits brakes from the Mini onwards. no longer suitable for the older Pro and Sport levers on brakes such as the C2 and the XC4....

Firstly the older Hope brakes are a pain to bleed. WhyI don;t know but they just are. And they require it doen regularly.

To keep them working 100% you should repalce the seals once per year if the bike is ridden every weekend.

Alternatively, switch to the newer Mono Mini or Mono M4. They are stunning brakes.

PS: I though Lea had emigrated to Australia??

• 9 months later...