Specialized Roval Wheelset

Fromage_blanc

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tech/features/specialized_2007_road/Specialized_Roval_Rapide_Star_wheel.jpg

The new wheels certainly aren't light with the top-level Rapide Star hitting the scales at 1750g for the pair. On the road, though, they were markedly easier to keep up to speed than lighter, non-aero wheels, and the additional weight wasn't terribly noticeable. If the Star concept proves successful, it seems logical that a carbon-hub version wouldn't be far off (can you say '2008'?). The new wheels will be offered in three interchangeable freehub varieties: Shimano 8/9 speed, Shimano 10 speed, and Campagnolo 10 speed.

An ugly, heavy wheelset in a very competative market?

About the aerodynamics, the most gains to be had is where the air is first distubed. This means the front tyre and handlebar. The front tyre's shape is fixed, so the fext best place to reduce drag would be the rim. I cant see how those flanges can compete with the aerodynamics of other deep sections.

Only for die hard Specialized fans, I think. 

Let Boonen win a race or two with them and how popular they become , especially with our vet riders.

Guest Big H

Dit is seker verreweg die aakligste abdominasie van fietswiele wat ek nog ooit gesien het. Dit lyk asof die mechanic sy longe op die ding uitgehoes het. Is dit regtige wiele of is die bisare grap????????

David#7 the same as with the mighty Cervelo's. I wonder how many you can now find in Junkmail since Basso was caught with his hands in the cookie jar!!!!!!!

Those are pretty ugly! A heavy wheel will always feel easier to keep the speed up on, but trust me, this is only an illusion. Lighter is always better, unless we are talking about handling on a descent or durability.

Regardless of performance most riders still want to at least look good. These wheels just don't cut it in that regard.

Is 1750g considered heavy for aero wheels ?

Let Boonen win a race or two with them and how popular they become ' date=' especially with our vet riders.[/quote']

Currently Zipps are the most common wheels in the vet bunches.

A pair of Zipp 404 tubbies weigh in at around 1250g, so yes, something weighing 1700 odd is heavy.

OK but the 404's are about as light as you can get for that depth wheel. And of course you're paying premium dollar to get that weight. The price is prohibitive for most riders here.

Man, but those are fugly. Next version they bring out the red flanges will carry on spinning after you've come to a stop.

Form and function often dictate fashion - you won't use something if you lose a race because of it.