Building bike from scratch

stewie911

What do you guys think about building a mtb from scratch?

Reasons for question:

1. Thinking of doing it with one of those no-name carbon frames, which is quite cheap, but will obviously not be able to test the geometry of the frame to see if it fits my body type.

Possible advantages:

1. I can get some of the accessories for cheaper on the hub, like seatpost, saddle etc.

2. It wouldn't be one big expense, but would be spread over couple of months maybe.

3. Could be fun and I could learn a lot from this.

4. Bike would be custom with my preference of component etc.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do it! It's way more rewarding than collecting it built from a bike shop and you will also learn lots about how everything (and I mean everything!) fits and works together.

I agree, it will be a great way to learn about technical stuff right from the start. The experience will help you with maintenance and repairs in the future.

Go for it!many guys build training or spare bikes this way,thats why many bike shops are more than willing to sell and some times give old and 2nd hand bits..u got nothing to loose,take your time,a great way to experience and learn

Go for it!many guys build training or spare bikes this way' date='thats why many bike shops are more than willing to sell and some times give old and 2nd hand bits..u got nothing to loose,take your time,a great way to experience and learn

[/quote']

Thanks for info.

Why do you say only spare/training bikes?

Apolagies,i should have worded that better..I just mentioned that because i see many guys with race specific bikes doing that,and yes guys often build bikes from scratch, not only as spare /training bikes but race day bikes as well..

All bikes are built up from scratch, mybe not by you though.lol

More seriously though, you could end up saving more money by being patient until that good deal comes along on the hub for a wheelset, or component.

I wouldnt ride a no name carbon frame and...carbon's second hand value is...very very low! I would go Alu, u can pick up raleigh's for 500-1500 rand a frame, and they weigh anything from 1.3-1.8kg a frame, ull have to phone around though to get a nice frame at a decent price.

I have built a few bikes, and apart from being fun, it also gives you a whole lot of appreciation for what goes into a quality bike.

It also gives you the confidence to make a plan when stuck on the side of a trail with a broken bike.

If I may ask, what will a Full Suspention Frame sell for?

I am riding a HT at the moment, and want to switch over to ST, but at the moment it is just to expensive to buy the complete bike.

Go for it.

I re-built a Stumpy, and it was fun. If you are not confident that you know what you are doing, get a book to show you how.

What do you guys think about building a mtb from scratch?

Reasons for question:
1. Thinking of doing it with one of those no-name carbon frames' date=' which is quite cheap, but will obviously not be able to test the geometry of the frame to see if it fits my body type.

Possible advantages:
1. I can get some of the accessories for cheaper on the hub, like seatpost, saddle etc.
2. It wouldn't be one big expense, but would be spread over couple of months maybe.
3. Could be fun and I could learn a lot from this.
4. Bike would be custom with my preference of component etc.
[/quote']

I'm thinking along exactly the same lines!!

Full sus carbon noname frame and some decent componenets on....over time.

My reasoning - if the bike is insured - then the frame is covered for ANY eventuality....so not much risk...

I'm really keen to try out one of these no name brands....

not much to loose either.

Where are you looking to purchase from?

Looking to buy from ebay. Some guys sell the frame with handlebar, cages, headset and seatpost for about $380.

Was looking for full suspension frame, but unable to find one.

Must say I'm intimidated by the idea of building the bike on my own. I'm afraid I'll buy components that won't fit and stuff like that.