Don't s'pose anyone has a view on this?

Thyolo

Western Cape Premier Ebrahim Rasool says he regards Western Province skipper Luke Watson as a "black player" and he should therefore be included in the Springbok team ahead of "white" players of equal talent.

Just wondered....

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thylo.

I personaly have had first hand experience where I was placed out of an SA squad for to make provision for PDA athletes. 

I worked for 5 months on becoming the best I could be.  I had no sponsors.  No trainers.  No nothing.  Just me.  I qualified and was shifted down in favour of the PDA athlete. 

I will NEVER do du/tri athlon again.  Maybe they lost someone that was maybe good.  Maybe not.

But I can tell you that is one way of discouraging athlete to compete in ANY sport.  To work you but off for something only to be taken away by politics.  TOTAL BS!!!!!!!

Stuff "black/white" he should be there as a player as he has more between the ears than that stupid blond thing!! It's only that schoolmaster Jake dosen't like him and allows his personal bigotry to control the selection of the side. I shouldn't have a good thing to say about Luke coz he left Natal for WP (Tantamount to treason!!!)

dude on 702 this morning said the only reason cheeky watson got involved with black rugby was to cement his business interests in "non-white" areas. kinda like the krog brothers building the apartheid museum holy roller2007-05-15 05:22:00

Read this and make up your own mind !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Berugte Watson-broers ?na aan invloedrykes in regering?

ADRIAAN BASSON 14/05/2007 09:26:05 PM - (SA)

JOHANNESBURG. ? Die omstrede insluiting van Luke Watson in die Springbok-oefengroep is nie die eerste keer dat die Watson-familie die nuus haal nie.

Luke Watson is die seun van Cheeky Watson ? een van die berugte vier ?Watson-broers? wat in die 1970?s in Port Elizabeth vir swart klubs rugby gespeel en s? hul kanse op Springbok-kleure verbeur het. ?n Biografie oor die Watson-broers ?(Brothers to us) deur die Australiese joernalis Kristin Williamson het in 1997 verskyn.

Daarin word vertel van die familie se noue bande met die ANC en hoe hulle potensieel roemryke rugby- en sakeloopbane prysgegee het om deel te wees van die stryd teen apartheid. Een ANC-politikus het aan Williamson ges? die Watson-broers is naby aan ?invloedryke mense in die regering? wat ?ongelooflik lojaal? aan hulle is.

Die name van onder andere mnre. Makhenkesi Stofile, minister van sport, en Linda Mti, veiligheidshoof van die W?reldbeker-sokkertoernooi in 2010 en voormalige kommissaris van korrektiewe dienste, word in Brothers to us genoem.

Die Burger en Beeld het verlede jaar die verbintenis tussen Mti en die Bosasa-groep van maatskappye onthul aan wie die departement van korrektiewe dienste ? t?? onder Mti se beheer ? in twee jaar kontrakte van bykans R2 miljard toegeken het. Gavin Watson, ??k ?n Watson-broer, is uitvoerende hoof van Bosasa. Valence en Ronnie Watson het in Umkhonto weSizwe (MK), die ANC se gewapende vleuel, onder Mti gedien, terwyl Cheeky en Gavin sport, sake en die kerk ?verpolitiseer? het.

Die Watsons het die ANC ook geldelik ondersteun. Vandag is ?l vier broers betrokke in die sakew?reld:

■ Cheeky Watson was tot onlangs direkteur van die Oasis Sports Foundation. Di? sportstigting van die batebestuursgroep Oasis was verlede jaar in ?n geding met die Blou Bulle-Maatskappy betrokke oor Oasis se embleem op die Bulls se rugbytruie.

Die Kaapse regter-president John Hlophe word tans ondersoek oor ?n maandelikse bedrag wat hy van Oasis ontvang het. Volgens Oasis werk Cheeky Watson nie meer daar nie. Hy het ook onlangs probeer om tot die direksie van SA Rugby verkies te word, maar is deur Keith Parkinson verslaan.

■ Gavin Watson is uitvoerende hoof van die Bo?sasa-groep en dien ook in die direksie van onder meer Seaark Africa en Enterprise Support SA.

■ Valence Watson is uitvoerende hoof van Vulisango Holdings, ?n bemagtigingsmaatskappy wat 51% van die myngroep Simmer & Jack se bemagtigingsvennoot Jaganda besit. Ander direkteure van Vulisango sluit in mnre. Zola Yeye, die Springbok-bestuurder, Gibson Njenje, ?n voormalige adjunk-direkteur-generaal van die Nasionale Intelligensie-agentskap wat bedank het n? die vals e-pos-skandaal en Siviwe Mapisa, broer van me. Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula, minister van binnelandse sake.

■  Ronnie Watson is ?n direkteur van Sovereignty Capital en konsultant vir ?n aantal genoteerde maatskappye. Sy Global Economic Research is betrek by die staat se bedrogsaak teen die vermoorde mnr. Brett Kebble oor betalings deur DRDGold, waarvan Kebble voorsitter was, aan Kebble se Skilled Labour Brokers.

Of Watson swart of wit is gee nie om nie. Hy moes al 3 jaar terug in die span gewees het. Ek wonder wat Jake White rook - daar's spelers (swart en wit) wat di? jaar net mooi f0k0l gedoen het.

ALL of this shouldn't distract you from the fact that Luke is an intelligent player. We've long battling been to make intelligent decisions on the field when plan A fails.

I'm also GATVOL of coaches ignoring talent because of personal preferences...
Robotech2007-05-15 05:31:16

Sorry Hub - bit of a gratuitous post

It is a very unsettled society we have that continues to throw up winners and losers in unexpected ways.

I'm kinda resigned to sitting and watching as the forces at play are beyond me.

Sometimes the comments and moves made by the politicians & other "talking heads" sound so funny, but I guess there's reasons for everyone to think the way they do.

WTF, Luke watson is as black as I am???!!!

More worrying is the omission of D. Hougaard. How are we going to win the world cup without an exceptional kicker??

And if we aren't planning to win it why be bothered?

Sorry Hub - bit of a gratuitous post

It is a very unsettled society we have that continues to throw up winners and losers in unexpected ways.

I'm kinda resigned to sitting and watching as the forces at play are beyond me.

Sometimes the comments and moves made by the politicians & other "talking heads" sound so funny' date=' but I guess there's reasons for everyone to think the way they do.

[/quote']

at least rasool is encouraging people to be colour-blindDead

?The selection problem will be solved if White no longer sees Luke as a ?white? player,? Rasool argued.

Luke Watson inclusion is a farce, i would have picked him 1 or 2 years ago but he is far from that condition today, and there are a lot better players than him.

Derek H should have been included in the line up, but i dont believe he's the best. There's more to the modern game than following Naas's example of kicking (ok so this did help in the 95 w/c) and this wont help if you are playing against a diciplined team.  Playing like he did on Saturday against a team like the Froggies, he'll be sadly lacking.

Luke will attend the first camp, once the squad is cut he will be the first to go.

Luke will attend the first camp' date=' once the squad is cut he will be the first to go.[/quote']

I dont think so, that will imply that Jake and the selectors were right in not selecting him the 1st time and the top was incorrect, something which they are keen to avoid.