Klapperkop, what is happening?!

AfreekduSoet

I agree with you,unless you on an mtb,the bumps can get annoying..The decision to put extra bumps was probably made due to reckless cage drivers,may be some one can give a better explanation?

VRA DIT!!!! 

Personally I think it is a conspiricy with the Capies trying to slow us down doing our hill training.  Wink

Nope, not that at all. ?Klapperkop is now an open game reserve. ?They have completed the cattle gates and the perimeter fencing. ?All the have to do now is to fence up to the cattle gates.

Next is to introduce game such as zebra and buck into the area. ?THE speed bumps are so that you don't go to fast and hit any of the game.

THe plus side is that it will be an open game reserve (no entry fees) and that there are going to be some wicked single track and MTB routes there. (plus some guards and roving anti poaching patrols- less vagrants) ?So if the bumps bother you, goto the dirty side and MTB there .

Some of them are worse than others (particularly the two closest to the golf course - their angles are completely wrong and it's like hitting a wall). These things can't be good for roadbikes. Broke a spoke by going over on of them at a fairly low speed last week. Pity they cannot make 30cm on each side for roadies to pass. It will still slow down cars and I'm happy to take the risk of running into an animal on my bike (the chance of this happening is not gonna be much different whether I'm doing 28km/h or 40km/h). It's great what they're doing on the MTB side, but they're killing an awesome training place for roadies (and in Pretoria there are few enough nice places to ride).

Kona,

Do you have a connection with the Klapperlop management?

Maybe if we can ask them to put more gradual "ramps" for the skinny wheel bikes - say in the middle section of the speed bumps.  That way the bumps will still slow down the cages, and maybe not break so many skinny wheels.

Kona' date='

Do you have a connection with the Klapperlop management?

Maybe if we can ask them to put more gradual "ramps" for the skinny wheel bikes - say in the middle section of the speed bumps.  That way the bumps will still slow down the cages, and maybe not break so many skinny wheels.
[/quote']

...... and the next thing "cyclists behaving badly" will bitch and complain the bunch of 30+ cyclists ridng across the whole road cannot get across the small narrow "gradual ramp"!!!!!!!!!!

@Oom H, kom ry tog eers bietjie downhill met daai tandem oor die gesegde bumps, dan kan jy dalk sulke kommentaar lewer.

@Kona, ride the dirt there regularly, very nice!  Looking forward to the improvements and additional park.

As Phen said, it is one of the few places in Pretoria that is quite safe (from cars) to ride, especially early morning.

Unfortunately these badly "designed" bumps has put an end to this as I'm sure one of these mornings someone is going to be scraping himself/herself off the tar.

As Phen said' date=' it is one of the few places in Pretoria that is quite safe (from cars) to ride, especially early morning.

[/quote']

Plus it's nice hill to ride, beautiful view, etc. The speed humps are ruining this.

@Oom H' date=' kom ry tog eers bietjie downhill met daai tandem oor die gesegde bumps, dan kan jy dalk sulke kommentaar lewer.

@Kona, ride the dirt there regularly, very nice!  Looking forward to the improvements and additional park.

As Phen said, it is one of the few places in Pretoria that is quite safe (from cars) to ride, especially early morning.

Unfortunately these badly "designed" bumps has put an end to this as I'm sure one of these mornings someone is going to be scraping himself/herself off the tar.
[/quote']

Sal maar die MTB tandem daar kom probeer. Ons kry dit nou mooi reg om hom te bunny hop. Ek ry juis volgende maand Angola toe om hom te gaan haal.

Found the cattle grids quite handy for an impromptu full body massage/ prostate exam depending on whether you are seated or standing, about 4 of the bumps are nasty for road bikes

It is fine to have to hop one or two per ride, but with a few repeats it is turning into 15-20 jumps per ride.  And as mentioned, some are frame-snappers even at low speeds.

So what do we do?  Who can/should be contacted?  Council?  Parkeraad?

good news and bad news.

Firstly, bad news, there are five more speed bumps to come. ?Also the management is delighted with the results of the angle of the bumps as fewer wild animals have been killed noew.

Secondly, good news, after BESTER Cycles and myself discussed the problem they will consider building a flat bit on the sides of the road so that the roadies can pass without the bump. ?Only they are going to plant a pole next to it to stop the cars from using it. ?So now you can avoid the bumps, but only if you cycle single file.