Help me choose MTB! (+ Hello all)

Hog_

Hi all! I've decided to take up MTBing. After reading through VanMartin's topic I'm actually more confused than I was before!! I was actually on my to but a GT Avalanche GT3 disc on Saturday, but the store closed 15 min early so I couldn't get it. Only today did I read that the mech disc is not ideal. So, please help me choose a bike.

Budget is <= R4k. Currently on the list is:

Felt Q600

Schwinn Mesa LT

Trek 4300

GT Avalanche 2.0

Kona Fire Mountain

Fuji Nevada 1.0

Scott Reflex 40

Merida Matts 100-V

Mongoose TYAX Super.

Prices are based on the bicycling.co.za bike buyers guide.

The only option I'm considering that's over R4k is the Mongoose Amasa Elite, which comes in at R5k, but has a hydraulic disc.

So - opinions and advice please!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Choose a bike that YOU  LIKE.... it has to look good TO YOU, otherwise pm MudDee, he's not to bad on bikes and specs...

Choose a bike that YOU  LIKE.... it has to look good TO YOU' date=' otherwise pm MudDee, he's not to bad on bikes and specs...

[/quote']

If I chose by looks it would be either the Mesa LT or the Q600, but for all I know they're crap!!

First look at size and then narrow it down from there. Frames normally comes in 2" increments like 15", 17, 19"  or 16", 18", 20". That can also come in as S, M and L but inch sizes are different depending on manufacturer.

The most useful advice that was given to me I pass on to you - go visit the bikes shops, look at what they stock and if possible organise a test drive, even if it's in the parking lot.  I just think it's really important to see the bike you're interested in right in front of you.

I also based my search on the buyers guide but do keep in mind that prices may vary from the guide and that you may struggle to find a dealer stocking a particular bike make. None of the shops I visited sold Kona's for instance.

Where are you based?

vanmartin2007-05-15 08:01:24

I like the Felt...... and it looks good asswell.... but Scott has got good value for money, so for me I would choose between those two....

Oja, and welcome to The Hub.... enjoy the ride and keep youre hands and feet inside the car at all times..... Things to avoid:  BIG H thats about all, so enjoy....

The most useful advice that was given to me I pass on to you - go visit the bikes shops' date=' look at what they stock and if possible organise a test drive. Even if it's in the parking lot.

I also based my search on the buyers guide but do keep in mind that prices may vary from the guide and that you may struggle to find a dealer stocking a particular bike make. None of the shops I visited sold Kona's for instance.

Where are you based?

[/quote']

I've been to a few shops already - most of the guys seem more interested in getting me to overspend on my budget then anything else.

I'm in Bryanston. I've been to Cyclelab in Fourways - they have a special on a Trek 4300 which is pretty tempting, although I don't like the look of the bike.

I'm in Bryanston. I've been to Cyclelab in Fourways - they have a special on a Trek 4300 which is pretty tempting' date=' although I don't like the look of the bike.

[/quote']

Do yourself a favour and go to Linden Cycles.

Merida is not bad, but i think if you can take the bikes out for a spin to see what you are comfotable with, and then look at the components but dont be fooled totaly by some bikes that for example have an XT rear derailer but the rest of the bike has cr@p components, this they use as a selling gimmick.

It might be useful to list the components (front & rear derailer, brakes, shocks) for the bikes you're seriously considering and get the hubbers to comment on that, it might help you in your decision making.

My advice if you're looking at Shimano components is to look at Deore and up (Deore, LX, XT). When the components are a lower spec than this, they are usually not that long lasting, or designed for real offroad riding.

Oh and if you get it before Sunday, come join us at Northern Farm for a Hubber shindig!

If I must make a choice from you list it will be the Felt. Otherwise take a look at the trek 4500. Full deore 27 sp, avid v's(so much better than even cheap hydro brakes), rockshox lockout fork. R 4600. And if you can turn your own arm get the Trek 6000. Avid juicy hydro brakes. This is Treks racing geometry frame. R6000.

It might be useful to list the components (front & rear derailer' date=' brakes, shocks) for the bikes you're seriously considering and get the hubbers to comment on that, it might help you in your decision making.[/quote']

Have to agree, but first narrow your choice down to 3 or 4 bikes.

Can also recommend you pay a visit to Linden Cycles.

Oh...

And welcome to The Hub

I'm actually leaning towards the Schwinn right now, mainly because it has Deore Derailleurs Front & Back, plus Deore Shifters.

Who stocks Schwinn in Joburg?