2008 Epic time trial = approximately 15km

Brakkies Sport Fotos

The 2008 Absa Cape Epic will kick off with an all new time trial prologue.

All teams will participate in a team time trial of approximately 15km that starts and finishes in Knysna on Friday the 28th of March.

Teams will have a pre-allocated time slot for their time trial and teams depart at 1-minute intervals.

All the top teams and pro-riders will start in the late afternoon. This will allow amateur riders and the public to watch the podium candidates racing each other for the honour of wearing the leader jerseys at the start of the first stage on the 29th.

Each team?s time in the prologue will add to their overall time and will be used to determine the seeding for the start of the first stage on Saturday morning. Up to now only the top 50 teams were seeded based on a motivation provided by teams.

The time trial allows to seed the entire field in a transparent manner. The prologue also provides the riders with the opportunity to test their equipment (and partners?) in a race environment before starting their 8-stage journey to Lourensford.

The first night of racing is spent in a hotel in Knysna rather than in the tented village.

Race registration and the rider briefing take place on the Thursday instead of Friday.

What type of time trial? A traditional road time trial? A gravel road time trial? A full MTB time trial with single track?