MTB disc brake noise (cure?)

NotSoBigBen

I have a serious issue with noise from my rear disc brakes on both my bikes, one with Juicy 7's and the other with Magura Julies. It is almost llike the noise vibrates through the entire bike!

Some advice already given but not yet tried :-

Option 1 - pour alcohol (some may say that's a waste!) over each pad and light it, let it finish burning then (wait till it's cooled down of course) lightly sand the braking surface. Clean the rotors with alcohol (what 'alcohol' is best?)

Option 2 - similar to option 1 but instead of the burning alcohol induced heat rather 'bake' them in a very hot oven for 1/2 an hour then lightly sand the braking surface. Clean the rotors with alcohol

I want to do it tonight, just wondered which approach is best of these 2 (if any!) or are there other better options?

The pads all have plenty of 'meat' and since you all know these aren't cheap the last resort would be new pads!

Any advice would be welcome!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ag Nee man BB, here i am busy shopping for a disk setup to replace my V's and you basically telling me disks are *** (well causing ***.... noises)

So what kind of noise is it, high pitch like a bulletjie in the tank or lo pitched like big mamma in a sexy mood

The type of noise would be helpfull to help solve the problem seriously...

Ah easy one to fix.... only brake at the last minute (really hard) no easy braking this only wastes energy and makes irritating noises

maybe (just maybe) problem could be pad dust stuck in the wear grooves on the disk (wont see them with the naked eye). Need to clean the disk with an approved disk cleaner (ask DR he is moes the disk expert ?).

Do the pads have grooves on them or are the flat, might help to cut some grooves on them so the small dust particals can "escape"

I have a serious issue with noise from my rear disc brakes on both my bikes' date=' one with Juicy 7's and the other with Magura Julies. It is almost llike the noise vibrates through the entire bike!

Some advice already given but not yet tried :-

Option 1 - pour alcohol (some may say that's a waste!) over each pad and light it, let it finish burning then (wait till it's cooled down of course) lightly sand the braking surface. Clean the rotors with alcohol (what 'alcohol' is best?)

Option 2 - similar to option 1 but instead of the burning alcohol induced heat rather 'bake' them in a very hot oven for 1/2 an hour then lightly sand the braking surface. Clean the rotors with alcohol

I want to do it tonight, just wondered which approach is best of these 2 (if any!) or are there other better options?

The pads all have plenty of 'meat' and since you all know these aren't cheap the last resort would be new pads!

Any advice would be welcome!

[/quote']

This sounds a bit extreme, even for a mtbkr

Can't help you with this one BB except to say.......... change to V's Wink

Some more info from mtbr.com forum

First 2 describe which alchol and how to clean...

Why do my brakes squeal and how can I fix it?

First and foremost there is NO disc brake which NEVER squeals and NO disc brake type which ALWAYS squeals.  Also there is no specific area where brakes have more problems. From super dry Scottsdale Arizona to wet Seattle there will be a few screaming brakes in every area of the country. Some brakes seem to have more problems than others but in general it's one of the following :

Dirty ( oily ) rotors - clean thoroughly with Isopropyl Alcohol

Dirty ( oily ) pads - clean with Isopropyl alcohol, then use emery paper and scuff the pads. Remember they need to be newly bedded in, so the first stops are not what you expect. If braking power is drastically reduced, replace pads with new ones.

Loose rotors and loose calipers - tighten them up.

Loose cones in the hub - again tighten them.

Loose spokes - sometimes you can detect this if you rub a little grease exactly where the spokes are crossing/touching each other. If the noise changes, then you need to retighten the spokes.

Loose quick-release - especially on alloy dropouts the q/r sometimes works itself into the alloy, the tension gets less and the axle starts vibrating.

Loose suspension bolts - seems to be a problem on the older I-drive bikes, but not only them. Check the owners manual for proper torques.

Loose Headset - adjust to specifications.

Loose .... loose... loose ANYTHING. Yes even a loose saddle can make a noise if vibrated by the brakes.

Incorrect alignment - use a Gnann-o-mat or Hope Spot tool to machine the tabs or use the CPS on Avid brakes. But no matter what, some brakes just squeal.  It seems like a lot of the problem comes from other parts of the bike where a harmonic vibration set up by the brakes manifests itself in an audible squeal.  You have to work case by case, find the vibrating part and somehow cure it.  I once had a squealing brake that was instantly cured by switching to a rotor from another manufacturer.

First and foremost there is NO disc brake which NEVER squeals 

Well, mine never squeeled until I took it to that other cycle shop. But I'll rather not go there, the shop and the topic, again.

You going to have a problem with he Avids - my friend replaced his with XT hyd.

Sorry, ever Willie Eng... repalced his

Sorry Mario but I don't take easily to those sort of 'blanket' comments! My son has Juicy 5's on his bike, no problem, my boet has ultimates and carbons and also no issue. I'll get it sorted!

BB - well just spent most of the morning researching Disk brakes - you cannot believe how many people have this problem and no clear way to fix it, no particular manufacturer seems to escape some sort of noisy brake complaint.

Think i will just buy new pads for my V's and take a few minutes (ok maybe 1/2 n hour) to sort the alignment and rim gap) but then no more problems

Pity was looking forward to joining the disk setUnhappy

Don't use aftermarket pads, use the pads that are advised for the product, BBB's will not go onto a bike I own, well maybe my road bike. The heating of the pad works, but use a heat gun, clean the rotors with Isopropyl alcohol, then take the pad and rub it on a cleanish concrete surface, helps to take the shine off, if all this doesn't help, try new pads?

Maybe try the new organic pads from Avid as opposed to the stock metallic ones. Slightly less power but very schmoooove....