Traffic-free training areas around JHB

Hi

I cycle a recumbent trike that has a rather large road footprint, making it hair-raising to cycle in traffic. I am looking for safe training areas for road cycling around the Johannesburg area. Any ideas/recommendations?

Thanks

Cradle of Mankind area - very quiet at all times, with specific cycle lanes now.

This area is pretty much west of Sandton/Fourways - about 20minutes drive from Sandton.

Kyalami Race Track is open Mon-Thurs 5-7pm to cyclists and runners.

No cars in sightSmile

Kyalami and Wesbank Raceway during the week.

Suikerbosrand

& I've always fancied going out to roadworks where they cone off kms of road and don't do anything with it.  Always the risk of falling into the tar machine though.

Cradle of Mankind area - very quiet at all times' date=' with specific cycle lanes now.

This area is pretty much west of Sandton/Fourways - about 20minutes drive from Sandton.

[/quote']

I stay out that way. Even though there is few cars, most of them speed. Do not let your gaurd down because there is fewer cars than normal.

Traffic defines Johannesburg - therefore no such thing as traffic free areas in Johannesburg area.

Good luck...but do let us know if you find that road....

Time in spend in traffic this am - 1h:45m

Km travelled.....31km

I do cycle to work, and I do get there faster. Problem is, I also get there sweatier, smellier, and scared ****less (which might account for the smellier part...) Wink

Mmm did consider that for a couple of seconds, I will get to work faster without a doubt? will all my body parts still be in tact? I don?t think so

Thanks for all the options - cycled at Suikerbosrand last Sunday, it is definitely a great venue as long as one can dodge the buck and baboons Tongue Little bit far to drive regularly, but worth it (despite the monstrous hills!)

We usually park @ the total garage where n14 ends, ride from there on n14 to 1st ramp left (muldersdrift),  left at circle, right at next circle, road is very quiet (except for bikers) and goes all the way to hans strydom, there and back is about 60km.

And then once or twice a month goto suikerbosrand, going again this sunday Wacko

During the week theres just 3 safe options, indoor trainer, spinning classes or kyalami.