Online shopping to be stopped

wheels

I have spoken to the Marvulli online agent in SA today. Apparently he received an attorney letter from one of the wholesalers in SA who are treatining him with a supreme court case if he does not stop his online.

What do the hubbers think about this? 

Will this mean that our prices is going upwards again? 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange, does not sound right - If this is the case then a precident will be set and e-commerce is dead should the wholesaler win.

What could be a problem is if Marvuli are selling products via the web on a so called grey import, it could then be a local agency issue.

Glad I back into making carbon wheels for 1 of the 2 big world component producers.

In retail and wholesale their seems to be no money to be made. In the short term the consumer will benefit, but in the long term the consumer and cycling will lose!

Not sure it would ever get to the supreme court, however if it does just means that the rest of us would land up paying a premium for the honour of being ripped off even more by the said wholesaler.Seems like the legal folks are in  for a even bigger profit paid for by ourselves.

Firstly, second hand online shopping ( such as at the hub) can not be stopped.

Also online shopping cannot be stopped. Think of Kalahari, etc.

This (if it's so) probably relates to a restraint of traint/ wholesaler/ agency issue

If it is a local agency issue, then all Marvuli has to do is host his site & register his business in a place like Dubai. The he can carry on as usual. Case should be much the same as CWCycles.

Regarding the local agents: if their prices are higher then chainreactioncycles.com or totalcycling.com, sorry for them, they dont get my business.

and in the end after a couple of year of benefits the cyclist will suffer, cycle shop will close and services which you cannot get on the web will no longer be as freely available.

Can you buy a car over the internet and have it sent to your house from for example a Dubai web site? I think not!

Christie you make a good point.

How can it be that you can buy the same product from half way round the world and it is still way cheaper than our local shops could ever be even after you have taken shipping, duties and taxes into account. Just proves how the wholesalers are ripping us off.

The guy is doing grey imports. I know that many of his products certainly don't come through the correct channels. Companies spend a lot of money to get the distribution rights for products, they do all the advertising, and then someone comes and undermines them. Anything bought through him for which there is a local agent will not get the backup from the local guys - they have long since started logging production codes, so they know what originates where. If you buy anything overseas, you won't get local backup either, but where this guy crosses the line is selling in South Africa products for which he does not hold the rights.

Icycling. You started online and could not made it. You started a cycle shop and could not made it. I met you one day in Willies shop with Dura Ace groupsets and Mavic wheels which you brought back with you from Holland the previous day. Seems like you love living a double live.

LONG LIVE ONLINE - NOW WE HAVE TO SUPPORT OUR ONLINE SHOPS EVEN IF THEY ARE A FEW BUCKS MORE THAN THE OVERSEAS ONES. 

Also generally wholesalers are not ripping us off - no-one is getting rich from the cycling business. Many products are quite in line with international pricing. For those that are not, well, maybe they are taking a slightly bigger margin than they need to, but we are still not getting smoked in a big way.

Trispoke. What is grey.Why should I pay R5000 more for a groupset just because of an agent in South Afriaca. Please or are you perhaps an dealer or a buddy of an inporter.

Oh yes and I even have a online bike shop!

But I also have a retail bike shop.

I even have a wholesale cycle buisness - Wheels this has been going since 1994, but not to undermine the market but to fill the gaps!

Not to mention the manufaturing that I am do for that component manufature in Japan!

Bike shops need the local importers to get stock and spares even CWC. I am still trying to work out what the point is of consumer bennefits are from low prices when in a couple of year their local bike shops close or even these low margin online shop close - then we back to the 80's

I not sure how many of you would buy a complete bike on the net without seeing it / sizing it up 1st, I would think rather a low %. So howmany 1st time buyers would? These people create growth in the sport!

The local bike shops need the support from their comunities to keep going.

Wake up Trispoke.We dont talk about chainstore cycles. We are talking about pro equipment. Can anybody tell me if they have received bad service from SA online shops.

I use to spend big money at a top dealer in Cape Town and got good service from them.I wanted to buy a  Campac groupset from them but they were nearly R6000 more that their opposition. What will you do or do you have too much money?