carbon bike on a trainer

Yes !

but if I had an older bike I would rather put it on the ID trainer and leave it there permanently.

sure, did X3 DC sims on a IDT with my Bike(20plus hours) and we had to do out TT's on there as well. Bike don't just beak, I'm still trying thu!!Smile

Personally no - I might be wrong but I would think that a carbon frame would not flex as much as an Alu one which would do it damage in the long run - would only use my carbon frame on rollers - but as I said I may be wrong.

Bike don't just beak' date=' I'm still trying thu!!Smile

[/quote']

give it to me, i'll break it for you Evil%20Smile 

oooooo, ek hoor jy is de nuwe breeker op die blok, congrads!!LOLWink ...maar as my 74kg dit nie kan breek nie gaan jo 60kg? lyfie niks doen aan hom nieLOLWinkMarius2007-05-18 05:59:58

Will you train on the trainer with your carbon (frame)bike?.

The carbon tend to flex more. The total force is transmitted through the bottombraket due to the bike is fixed in the trainer and place aditional strain on the frame. With riding on the road the forces are dispurst through lateral movement of the frame.

I think the power of when you go big gears, and standing up, could be a issue, but just spinning at a steady and "still" mode should not flex the frame.

The carbon tend to flex more. The total force is transmitted through the bottombraket due to the bike is fixed in the trainer and place aditional strain on the frame. With riding on the road the forces are dispurst through lateral movement of the frame.

The relationship between flex and stress is quite complex. Stress depends on the stiffness of the material and how it is constrained. The stress distrubution in in a frame clapmed in a trainer will be different, but not necessarily worse. In a lot of cases, more deformation due to freedom of movement cause higher stress, so it could be that a frame sees less stress in a trainer because the trainer helps carry the loads.

I have never seen a frame warranty stating that the frame may not be used on a trainer, so imo the risk is small.
Christie2007-05-18 07:22:24

My friend (85kg +) often rides his Carbon bike on the trainer and has had no problems.  If it can handle his weight I'm sure it is fine.  It's working wonders for him to lose weight and get fit for mountain biking.

I'm trying mine on the trainer for the first time tonight as I have some saddle issues!!

But really thinking about it, you are hooked onto the quick release and the wheels and tyres are the things affected, not the frame.

Of course if you are on rollers I'd be a little more carefulLOL

Wonder Woman2007-05-22 02:43:13